We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catania to Agrigento

Which Agrigento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Catania to Agrigento

If relying on public transportation or coach, is the only way to get to Agrigento from Catania via coach service from Catania Fontanarossa Airport? I'd love to go to the Valley of the Temples and I understand there is a local bus to get there from the central bus station in Agrigento. Is the central bus station near where the coach service from Catania drops off?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catania to Agrigento

Ciao Carmel C,

SAIS Trasporti runs bus service from Catania to Agrigento as well as from Aeroporto Catania.

http://www.saistrasporti.it/

Agrigento’s bus station is located at Piazzale Rosselli.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2r77syf.jpg

The local bus to the Valley of the Temples also departs from Piazzale Rosseli.

Getting to Agrigento:

valleyofthetemples.com/getting_to_Agrigento.…

Vagabonda

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catania to Agrigento

Thanks, Vagabonda!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Catania to Agrigento

Prego Carmel C - Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catania to Agrigento

I thought I would submit a brief trip report, in case it might help other travelers:

TRIP REPORT (5 May 2012)

I took the 0700 SAIS bus near the Stazione Catania Centrale intending to catch the guided tour to Valle dei Templi that met at 10:00 a.m. at Stazione Centrale Railway Station, per this website: www.valleyofthetemples.com/Visitagrigento.htm

The ritorno ticket was 21.50 euros, bought from the ticket office across from bus parking #15. Note that there are two SAIS bus ticket offices on the same block. The first one told me to go to the second ticket office to get the tickets.

The bus left slightly late (around 7:10 a.m.) and made 3 stops: at another bus station in Catania (near the McDonald's); at the Catania airport; and then at Caltanisseta. I fell asleep after that and woke up in Agrigento. The Piazzale Rosselli is located behind a movie theater, Cine Astor. There is a ticket office for the local bus, Tun, to the right if you are facing away from the back of the movie theater. Unfortunately, I did not realize this until later on.

As it was 9:55 a.m. by the time I exited the bus and, having just woken up, was a little disoriented and didn’t know how to get to the guided tour meeting point, I knew I wouldn’t make it to the railway station by 10:00 a.m. So, I got in a taxi and asked the driver to drop me off at Colleverde Park Hotel (CPH), the last pick up point for the guided tour. It cost 5 euros.

The lady at CPH reception informed me that she was not aware of any guided tours that departed from CPH, but that I was not the first person to ask her about it. Another couple had asked her about it the day before. She looked up the information online, in between taking care of the hotel guests that were checking out and needing her assistance. She told me that most likely such tours were only operational during the summer, but she saw for herself that nowhere on the website did it state that the daily guided tours were only during certain months. At this point, I was quite frustrated because I’d just taken a 3-hour bus ride to Catania expecting to be part of a guided tour to Valley of the Temples. The lady from CPH reception saved the day for me by informing me that the Valley of the Temples was a doable approximately 1 km walk from CPH. She gave me a map and concrete directions on how to get there. It was indeed a doable walk down the Strada Panoramea, as long as you stayed on the sidewalk. There were a few tour buses and cars on the road but not enough to make it a danger for pedestrians. Soon enough, I could see Templo della Concordia in the distance. I entered through the entrance closest to Templo di Giurnone. I purchased entrance tickets for the Valley as well as to the Archeological Museum. After about two hours, I decided to head to the Regional Archeological Museum. I exited temples area from a boardwalk off the Templo dei Dioscuri. The lady at the bookshop at the exit told me that there was a bus stop right off the car park. I waited about half an hour and saw Bus #1 drive past without slowing to stop. I became impatient and was worried I would not have enough time to browse the museum before trying to catch a bus back to Catania. So I flagged down a taxi and the ride to the museum cost 4 euros. I spent about an hour at the museum, including stopping for refreshments at the bar.

Seeing no taxis waiting when I exited the museum, I asked someone where the bus stopped and was told it was across the street under a tree, where two gentlemen were waiting. When I crossed the street, one of the men asked me if I was there for the bus and when I said yes, he told me that the actual bus stop was a few feet away. Sure enough, there was a sign marked as “TUN Transporti Urbani Agrigento Fermata Bus Stop.” I realized then that this sign looked very different from the bus stop sign where I was waiting outside the Templo dei Dioscuri exit. That one was not marked “TUN” so no wonder Bus #1 did not stop! I got on Bus #2 and realized the driver did not accept money and that I should’ve purchased a ticket at the station prior getting on the bus. However, the driver still let me on and I did buy a ticket (1.10 euro) when I got off at the station. I waited about forty five minutes for the 4:00 SAIS bus to Catania, which gave me enough time to enjoy a nocciolo gelato from the bar across from Piazza Rosselli. I’m glad I was there early, as the SAIS bus pulled in not into the SAIS parking spot, but at the movie theater, and it departed at 3:58 p.m.

Overall, it was a great trip to Agrigento and I am very happy to have seen the Valle dei Templi and doing this on my own. Not being on a tour group allowed me to spend as much time at a certain attraction and the museum as I wanted.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catania to Agrigento

Thank you for taking the trouble to post that review. My husband and I will be going to Agrigento from Catania - just for the day- we have a hotel booked in Ortygia Siracusa for our last two nights. I think what we'll do is, visit Agrigento from Catania and return to Catania to get a bus down to Siracusa - I have tried to check if a bus from Agrigento would be a better bet but it doesn't look like it.

Any advice would be very welcome. E

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Catania to Agrigento

Hello - I've been reading your posts and you seem well informed - so I'm hoping you might be able to advise me -

My husband and I want to visit Agrigento for one day. We will be leaving from Catania. I have booked a hotel in Ortygia Siracusa for our last two nights. Is it advisable to try and get to Siracusa from Agrigento or should we go back to Catania and travel from there?

Thank you, E

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catania to Agrigento

I will have to defer to the DEs for this, but it seems to me that it is more efficient to go to Siracusa from Agrigento.

I did not research availability of buses or other transportation from Agrigento to Siracusa, because I went to Siracusa from Catania on a different weekend. It was also a day trip and the trip from Catania to Siracusa was about just as long (~ 3 hours, if I remember correctly).

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Catania to Agrigento

Thanks - I'm still researching it and if I find out anything useful I will post it. Sounded like you had a great time overall. We are looking forward to it very much. E

9. Re: Catania to Agrigento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 07:17