We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agrigento-Realmonte

Which Agrigento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Agrigento-Realmonte

I've already seen that there are buses running from Agrigento to Realmonte and back, of course. I would like to visit Scavuzzo - la miniera di Salgemma and the Cattedrale di Sale. I checked it's not too far from Realmonte. Would it possible to find buses or even taxis?

HELP, VAGABONDA !

Thank you.

Nalini

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Ciao Vagabonda and fellow travellers!

Here some notes about my trip to Sicily:

In Trapani I asked the hotel staff (a nice 3 star hotel, facing the see and enjoying a wonderful sunset from my room) which would be better : to take a bus or a train to Marsala, so I could take the bus to MOZIA. First I was told to take the ASTA lines, then the train. So I went to the train station, before 9 am to buy a ticket to Marsala, just to find out that the first train will leave at… 12:00 !!!

So I went to the port, Via Ammiraglio Giuseppe Francese, to find a travel agency to take me to Mozia. The first one said that to Trapani Saline the trip would cost 15 Euro, but with a minimum of 2 pepole, so I told them that I would pay for TWO tickets. They said that PROBABLY sometime in the morning they could manage to arrange more people. So I went on searching for a more suitable solution. I’ve found this other agency – also along the Via Ammiraglio, and I was told that the Saline the Trapani will cost 30 Euro and it will be a quick tour, some half an hour! So I asked: What about Mozia? Oh, that would cost 70 Euro but I could leave immediately by taxi and for an extra 10 Euro I could see the ‘molino’ (windmill) – I forgot the name. When I was ready, I should give them a call, and the taxi would come to pick me up. Anyway, I paid the 80 Euro. So, when in Mozia, I decided to take the tour to the SALINE DELLO STAGNONE for another 10 Euro. Well, there was nothing to see, but the lake. In Mozia, yes, I saw the windmills and the salt pans, but not the "THING" i expected. In the end it was a VERY short tour for a lot of money, because Mozia is between Trapani and Marsala, and in an old taxi, on the top of it! I also found out that the extra 10 euro was just to take a photo of an old molino, at the entrance of Riserva Naturale Orientata Saline di Trapani e Paceco, which I was very much interested in visiting and I knew it would take around two hours to do.

As for the rest, I was fortunate to get to know this person on Facebook, Blue Man Giuseppe, who has a car and does transfers from and to Palermo airport, and take you around Sicily. So I could do, without endless waiting for public transports. 1st day: Palermo-Mondello-Monte Pellegrino-Monasterio de Sta.Rosalia and Cefalu (whole day). 2nd day: Palermo-Piazza Armerina and Caltagirone - whole day (the other two agencies I castected asked me an ‘arm and a leg’ to take this tour on my own!). 3rd day, Agrigento (half day). 4th day, Selinunte, Segesta, Riserva dello Zingaro, Castellamare del Golfo, Scopello and he left me in Trapani (whole day tour). So, compared to the money I spent in Trapani, not only to go to Mozia but also to Erice (because in the end, time was too short to wait for buses and funivias, so the private tour to Erice cost me 100 EURO in and old taxi!), I am sure the tours with Giuseppe was a GOOD value and next time I’ll visit Sicily I’ll definitely ask for his services. He is highly reliable and punctual, has a big comfortable car, A/C, a very accommodating and friendly person, and he loves taking photographs, which is great, so he would not be bored for the time I use taking mine!

The only trip using the public transport was to go to Monreale (and even so, the info given by locals was always contradictory about the buses to take!)

All the best for you, travellers, and special thanks to Vagabonda!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Ciao Nalini_1 and thank you!

Fortunately you found a solution to your very frustrating transport/tour situations – Hopefully Giuseppe is a legal service and licenced to run these tours.

AMAT has suspended the local bus service between Palermo and Monreale, so perhaps that would explain the confusion for that excursion – AST runs this service.

Until your return - All the best!

Vagabonda

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Ciao Vagabonda.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was running between the AMAT bus stop and AST. At a certain point, there is a free shuttle to take you up the hill to Monreale.

Giuseppe is definitely licensed and has a legal service :) I know there are lots of illegal taxis running , specially at airports.

Anyway, I cannot wait to go back to Sicily and this time to go to some of the islands and organise better the Salinas Paceco.

Just a note: I kept forgetting that a ticket has a validity of 90 minutes. Next time I'll wise up.

Take care.

Nalini

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Thanks for your follow-up report Nalini_1!!

Best regards,

Vagabonda

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Thank you LisaJG87 - It's truly an amazing place!

Vagabonda

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Hello Nalini,

Thank you for that extensive report. I'm sure I would have gotten gypped the same way when I go to Sicily and attempt that route in October.

I was unable to find "Blue Man Giuseppe" on Facebook - can I trouble you to provide his contact information?

Also, what was the "THING" you wanted to see at the salt pans? ;-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Since Nalini_1 hasn't posted since May, perhaps send a PM - www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/Nalini_1

Vagabonda

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

Salve Vagabonda,

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the midst of working out my travel plan in Sicily and will soon be consulting you for travel tips, if you don't mind. :-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Agrigento-Realmonte

It would be my pleasure momokau - Enjoy your planning!

Vagabonda