We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

Which Alassio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

Hello Wish I had found this before. I am off to Nice next week 6th October and hoping to go to Alassio on Saturday 8 0ctober.

I am plumping for the Saturday as I know there is a market on a Saturday - I have done this trip many times in Summer months but never in Autumn and thought if not many shops open the market would be. I believe it closes at 1 o'clock so I need to get there as quickly as possible from Nice before it closes.Therefore 2 questions 1 Is there a direct Nice-Alassio train between 8.00am and 10.0am as this would save time at Ventimiglia for transfer.

2 Is themarket still open in 0ctober.

Thank You for any assistance you can give me.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

1. There are no direct trains. All journeys require a change from a French train to an Italian one at Ventimiglia.

2. Alassio has a food market every Saturday and an antiques/junk market every Sunday: see …angloinfo.com/information/whatsonwhere.asp…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,951 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

Everything will be open in Alassio on the eighth. I was there yesterday and for the time of year it was heaving - the fine September weather means that Alassio is continuing to attract its usual hordes of weekend visitors, and anyway it always has a longer season than anywhere else on this stretch of coast.. Remember though that many of the shops will close for a long lunch.

It's a long way for a day trip from Nice though - see http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html for train times from Nice Ville. It won't give you prices though - for those look a times from Ventimiglia to Alassio this week, then add €6.70 for the French train to Ventimiglia.

If you want a general market with much less travelling time, try Bordighera's - all along the seafront on Thursday mornings and very pleasant indeed. I much prefer it to San Remo's and Ventimiglia's, which I expect you know about.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

Thank you very much for your fast reply. Glad I asked question as the Market in the centre of Alassio is obviously closed not shown on the website. Have been to the Laigueglia market in the past it is about 5-10 minutes by train but it is ALASSIO that I LOVE and thought if shops closed Market might be open.0nce again Thank You Very Much for your quick reply.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

Hello Perilizia Thank you for your reply. I know it is a way from Nice but could NOT be that close without having a day in Alassio. Have had lots of family holidays there so used to the journey I just thought as it was late season maybe a lot of shops might be closed. Alassio is beautiful and will be amazing to see it again next week. Thank you for the train timetable links too.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,951 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

There does seem to be a regular Saturday market in Alassio, with 140 stalls according to the national stall-holders' website. It appears to be held not right in the centre of town (it was moved from there some years ago because of traffic issues) but in Via Pera/Via Gastaldi near the swimming pool, just a few minutes walk inland, from 7 am to 12 noon.

6. Re: NICE to ALASSIO by direct train 0ctober 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 06:17