We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alba, Asti or Turin?

Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Alba, Asti or Turin?

I will be traveling to the Piedmont area of Italy in Oct. I have 3 nights before heading to Bellagio. I am wanting to visit some wineries where they produce the D'alba, barola and D'asti wines. I do not want to rent a car but would prefer to do a day trip tour.

I also want to relax, enjoy some good food and soak in the beautiful scenery of the area.

To do this should I stay in Alba, Asti or Turin? Is there a better area to stay?

Is Monforte, D'Alba the same as the town of Alba?

Turin
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alba, Asti or Turin?

Turin has 900,000 inhabitants, was founded by the romans 2,000 years ago and was the capital of an indipendent state for centuries. Here you'll find museums, palaces, night life etc. etc: http://www.turismotorino.org/index.aspx

Alba has less than 32,000 inhabitants and is in the middle of the Langhe wine country. In short, I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

If you want good food, barolo and beautiful scenery Alba, or a nearby village, would be a good choice: www.langheroero.it/index.jsp?idProgetto=2

PS: Monforte d'Alba is a different, smaller village whose name means "Monforte near Alba"

Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alba, Asti or Turin?

Thank you for the info! Extremely helpful I think I would prefer good food and a quiet village but definitely a day trip to Turin. Will check out Alba. Thank you again for your help!

Turin
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alba, Asti or Turin?

You are welcome. I forgot to tell you the most important thing: Alba is the birthplace of Nutella! Some mornings all the city smells of chocolate and nuts, it is quite an experience! Getting fattier just breathing...

Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alba, Asti or Turin?

That is amazing! Now I really can't wait to get there!

Thank you again for your help!

5. Re: Alba, Asti or Turin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:16