We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

Maine
Level Contributor
358 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

Since we are spending the weekend in alba for the medieval faire and truffle festival, I am wondering if I should make a restaurant reservation in advance or just plan to experience the food at the festival? If restaurant, which should I choose to enjoy an authentic meal including truffles?

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

You are in for a real treat. I would definitely plan to eat at a restaurant. There are so many excellent restaurants in Alba and throughout the Langhe part of Piedmont, it is hard to go wrong. In Alba, we ate very well at La Libera, at Enoclub, and a wonderful dinner at Osteria Del Arco. Another special treat if you will have a car would be to reserve a Sunday lunch at Trattoria della Posta, outside of Monforte D'Alba. Another fantastic restaurant in Monforte D'Alba is Felicin. If you are going to be in the area for more than just two days I can recommend dozens of other great places to dine.

Maine
Level Contributor
358 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

Thanks for the tips! What do you think of La Piola?

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

We have never dined in La Piola, but it has a good reputation. Our last meal in Alba was at Trattoria del"Arco, which was fantastic. For a special meal, I would also recommend the Ristorante Castello Grinzane Cavour, in the village of Grinzane Cavour, only a few miles from Alba. Actually, within 10 miles of Alba there are dozens of wonderful restaurants both in town and in the surrounding countryside, in the towns of La Morra, Neive, Barbaresco, Monforte D'Alba, Sinio, etc. You will love it! Be aware that Piemontese food is quite unlike the food you encounter in other regions in Italy and certainly different than Italian American cuisine. The care and pride put into the preparation is amazing.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

Hi,

We spent 10 days in Alba during the Truffle festival last fall, fantastico! I would recommend enjoying the food from the vendors at the festival. SO many amazing options, save the restaurants for weekdays and enjoy the street food during the weekend. I shared some of our experiences and photos of the Medieval Festival in a couple of blog posts you may find of interest, https:/…albas-truffle-festival

I agree with the previous post, a trip to the Castello at Grinzane Cavour is not to be missed.

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

Piola is the under the very expensive 5 star Doumo restaurant (which many people think is overrated) and its less expensive cousin. If you want to eat at Piola or any of the better restaurants in Alba, you will need to book in advance for weekends while the truffle fair is on, as the town gets very crowded. However you can eat well at the truffle fair and at vendors during the festival. For a white truffle experience better at one of the restaurants rather than taking a chance from a vendor, the restaurants have a reputation to maintain, the vendor may not be so scrupulous.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 13:00
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

I attended the truffle festival in November 2012. I think you need to be careful about choosing a restaurant to taste the truffles in Alba. They are not all good. I went to one which was very poor quality and the waiter did not even shave the truffle at the table in front of me.

You really need someone with local knowledge. May I suggest my daughter's blog Langhe Secrets

http://www.langhesecrets.com/

7. Re: Truffle festival...eat at venders or restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 07:16