We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arezzo for a base?

Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Arezzo for a base?

I'm planning my second trip to Italy (first was mostly Florence with 3 days near Greve in Chianti) and originally thought I'd stay in Perugia because I want to see Assisi, Spoleto, Gubbio, Orvieto, etc., this time. But then I began to think I should maybe stay in Tuscany but further away from Florence so that I could day trip to those places but also to places in Tuscany - Siena, San Gimignano, etc. I would be staying for at least 2 weeks, hopefully three.

Would Arezzo be a good "base camp" to go in all these directions? Would there be a better spot?

Thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arezzo for a base?

I think it would be a pretty good base. You have all the amenities of a city, an an attractive one at that. You would be able to visit several of the places you mention by train and could reach all the others by car with in an hour or two, no more. One word of warning though, if you intend to have a car, Arezzo does now operate a ZTL so you would need to think about where to park.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arezzo for a base?

Actually I've been thinking about this some more and I think your first plan to stay in Perugia was a better one. Most of the places you want to visit will be much closer and could be visited by public transport, if you wished. It you had a car for some of your stay you could drive to Siena in an hour and a half or so and then go on to San G. It would be a long day, but it would be your only really long journey, whereas you would have several days of similar, if not longer journeys from Arezzo as a base.

Level Contributor
141 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arezzo for a base?

Thanks for your quick response. Someone with another forum question had asked about parking in Arezzo and I copied down the response:

Pietri parking lot - the escalator takes you to near the Duomo. It' free parking, by the way. Don't remember now what the dates were on those replies. Does this free parking near an escalator still exist? And I'm assuming ZTL means something on the order of no cars allowed in the city center?

Thanks again,

Mary Lynne

www.marylynnestraveljournal.blogspot.com

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arezzo for a base?

The ZTL means that traffic is limited, typically residents will have the permit to drive into areas that others will not. In some places this is enforced by cameras taking pictures of everyone's number plates in the restricted area and if you don't have the right permit a hefty fine will eventually make its way to you through the hire company. This is true of Pisa and Florence and Siena.

I know Perugia does have a ZTL, but don't know the details of it or how it is enforced, cameras or not, or about the parking, I'm afraid. Try asking about it in the Umbria or Perugia forums.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arezzo for a base?

Hi!

As you are planning a 2 - 3 week stay why not consider having two "base camps".

One in or near Perugia for your travels in Umbria and then a second in or near Siena which is a very convenient location for central and southern Tuscany.

You haven't mentioned when you are travelling however if it is in peak season I would definitely consider two bases as your travel time to each of your planned destinations would be signficantly shorter and less tiring.

6. Re: Arezzo for a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 06:22