We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Arezzo to Florence

colchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train Arezzo to Florence

We are staying near Perugia in July & want to take a day trip to Florence. Have been advised to drive to Arezzo & take the train. Have looked on Trenitalia site & it will not give me any info - says it does not recognise Florence or Fiorenze. Are the trains frequent, do they go to SMN station & any idea of cost & time taken? Is it better to take an intercity train & do we buy tickets in advance - can they be booked? If we take an early train say 7am or 8am will it be busy with commuters? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Arezzo to Florence

The English version (look at top right) will recognize Florence; the Italian version recognizes Firenze (without an O).

Most trains from Arezzo to Florence are Regionale trains without seat reservations. The relatively few IC trains include a seat reservation in the price. Most Italians do not book in advance, but you can at a train station or a travel agency showing the Trenitalia logo.

As a rule, Italians do not commute from city to city. Morning trains are often used by business travellers, but even morning Regionale trains are rarely overcrowded.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Arezzo to Florence

Try searching using Firenze and you'll see results the two main stations SMN (Santa Maria Novella) and CM (Campo di Marte). There's a third station too in the north of the city, the name of which I can't remember offhand but the faster trains occasionally take you there and it requires a very short hop back on a local line a couple of stations to SMN. I don't have the timtable in front of me but the trains from Arezzo to SMN - the best station for the city centre and the sights - are quite frequent but vary in length of journey time depending upon the number of stops. There is a rush hour and they are far busier first thing in the morning and from mid-afternoon onwards (3.30 ish) when you'll find lots of students as well (later on) as business people. But you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat, even in morning.

There's a huge car park at Arezzo station (though there's a charge) and the approach to the station is well signposted. It'll be quite a long day out though as Perugia/Arezzo will be about an hour's drive.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Arezzo to Florence

Thanks -- just what i was looking for about parking at Arezzo train station.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Arezzo to Florence

Don't waste your money on the Intercity train between Arezzo and Firenze SMN. Take the regionale train, preferably the ones which don't take the most time.

Utica, New York
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Arezzo to Florence

Do you remember how much it cost to park in the Arezzo train station parking lot? Thanks!

6. Re: Train Arezzo to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2011, 06:19