We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jousting

Which Arezzo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
500 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Jousting

I have read about the jousting tournament held in September. At some point I had read about a similar one (on a smaller scale perhaps) in June. Since then I have been unable to find anything about it. I believe it was held in the third week in June, with various events during the week. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jousting

http://www.festivals-of-tuscany.com/ La Giostra del Saracino, Arezzo

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jousting

Yes, there are two tournaments of equal scale in both June and September. This year the actual Giostra takes place Saturday, June 21st with all sorts of events going on in the week leading up to the big event. It starts somewhat late, around 8:30 pm or so. Last year I think it started around 9pm....There is a huge parade down the Corso Italia that take place first and then everybody ends up in the Piazza Grande for the competition. It is quite the spectacle!

Here is their official website. http://giostradelsaracino.arezzo.it

Unfortunately it is all in Italian but maybe you can use something like Google Translate to help out with the translation. Click first on " La Giostra oggi" on the lefthand side (The joust today) and then click on "L'edizione di Giugno" - this is for the June festival. There will be 2 options - one for looking at the schedule of events the day of the joust and then the other is a schedule for the entire week.

Tickets must be purchased and range from I believe 6 euros for standing to 60 euros for prime seating.

The four quarters or neighborhoods of Arezzo compete for the "Lance d'oro" - the golden lance - in the festival each wearing their quarters colors. A sagra or dinner is held the night before in each quarter - you can attend one of these as well and you simply pay and purchase for your meal there (no advance reservations needed).

Last year a huge fight erupted at the end of the competition when one of the losing teams broke the Lance'd'oro of the winners. It was quite crazy and people that had the colors of the two teams involved in the fight, immediately were removing their colored scarves (worn to support your quarter's team) so that they would not get pulled into the brawl. The polizia broke it up, nobody was hurt and it was all fine in the end. Sometimes I am not sure how much is simply posturing for the crowds and how much is real.

Let me know if you need more information. I realize I have given you June's information, but I was assuming from your post that this was the date you were interested in.

portstlucie
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jousting

In one book we read the Giostra del Saracino was last sunday in June and Last in September...Another book noted first week in September, do you have any idea about September?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,580 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jousting

Use the link to the official web site in reply #2.

5. Re: Jousting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Arezzo