We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental - Saturday pickup

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Car rental - Saturday pickup

We are traveling by train from Rome to Arezzo on Saturday, Sept. 13 abd plan on renting a car in Arezzo for a week in the Tuscany countryside.

It looks like the best (most reliable) way is through Autoeurope. Comments?

I have references that the rental agencies ar enot open on Saturday afternoon or Sunday. OK, they deserve time off too. But that leaves me wondering what time they close on Saturday. (Hoping not to need to leave Rome at O dark thirty)

I plan on asking the same question of Autoeurope when I book the vehicle, but I'd like an information someone who knows more than me can provide before I talk to them.

Thanks in advance

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

Autoeurope is simply the broker and ultimately, the car will be rented through one of the major rental companies. Very reliable company and will match all pricing. Across from the train station is Avis which shares an office with Budget. They are open until 4pm on Saturdays. Europcar is not at the train station and would require a taxi ride (albeit a short, short ride) is open until 1:00pm on Saturdays. Further away in the industrial area of Arezzo (a taxi ride from the train station is necessary), is the Hertz office. They are open until 12:30pm on Saturdays. Nothing is open on Sunday in Arezzo - Airport locations are the best for this.

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

Thank you very much -- Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,659 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

We just returned our car to Arezzo last Sunday. We were with Europecar, and they are not too close to the train station. We were able to leave our luggage with the Tourist Info Centre at the train station, then returned our car and walked from there through town and back to the train station to collect our bags before taking the train. It all went very smoothly.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

Yes, however do note that the Europcar office is not that close to the train station and not necessarily an easy walk for some (especially if it is raining or very hot - as it has been, and fluctuating between these two weather patterns this summer). The gentleman at the Europcar office is happy to call anyone a cab and then it is a short 5 minute drive to the train station. But you state that you returned it on a Sunday? The office must have been closed?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,659 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

I assure you the office was quite open last Sunday when we arrived around 11.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,659 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

Holiday brain..sorry. We collected the car from Venice on Sunday, but we dropped in Arezzo last Friday. It's getting difficult to keep the days straight. :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

Yes, I was a bit confused as I believe Europcar/Arezzo is a one-man office. So just to clarify for the OP...All Arezzo rental offices are CLOSED on Sundays.

8. Re: Car rental - Saturday pickup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:16