We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Topic
Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

If I plan on doing an itinerary that includes naples, assisi, and ascoli piceno, what train solution would be the best?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

To get from Naples to Assisi, you need to change trains in Rome. Usually, you need to change in Foligno as well.

From Assisi to Ascoli Piceno, usually you have to go the coast (Ancona) and change trains there. This usually involves also a change of train in Foligno, and sometimes also in San Benedetto del Tronto. The trip can take 6 to 7 hours because it's so roundabout and because you will sometimes have long waits for trains. There are also very few fast trains on this route, which has the upside that the trains are cheaper.

There is one more direct route, with a change in Foligno and Fabriano, which is quicker (five hours) and also follows a scenic inland route. This train leaves Assisi at 12:45 and arrives in Ascoli at 17:46.

You can see train schedules here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Edited: 22 May 2012, 20:52
Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

bvlenci

At the end of 2010 you gave me some very helpful, detailed information on the Le Marche area. Eventually the planned holiday happened in December 2011 and, thanks to you, our plans worked perfectly. I wasn't able to access the information I wanted elsewhere so your replies were just so welcome. Thank-you for taking the time to reply with such detail and accuracy. We loved Le Marche and will be back.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

Scott,

you may want to look at buses www.startspa.it/linea_roma/roma_ascoli.htm

Italy
Level Contributor
207 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

http://www.startspa.it/

ro.autobus.it/ro/asp/RicercaOrari.asp…

this is the time :

www.startspa.it/linea_roma/ascoli_roma.htm

the departure is in roma tiburtina stallo 18 or roma termini

these are 2 railway station

or from airport the exit is Q2.

i think that you can buy directly in the airport or maybe is better if

you buy online here

:

www.prenotazionistartcardinali.it/index.php

this is startspa .

this is another bus from stazione tiburtina,you can buy online too:

www.romamarchelinee.it/orari/index.php…

this is another bus from stazione tiburtina

http://www.primalinee.com/ricerca_viaggi.php

After if you like stay near the sea there is my town san benedetto del tronto or if you like u can choose a room in ascoli piceno or near ..

if you like u can see this video and after you can see the pics of my town on facebook(you must search: Отдых, Италия, Адриатика, Марке)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZcMEFZmvP4o#!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

Scott was planning to stop in Assisi before going to Ascoli, so I don't think replies number 3 and 4 would work.

Travel_Addict, I'm glad you had a good trip, and hope you return soon. This is indeed a beautiful region.

US
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

I am planning a trip to Le Marche and or Umbria in September. I would love the post you are referring to and your recommendations. What should we NOT miss? We plan to drive from Rome and want to explore the countryside and small towns.

Thank you. Lynne

US
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

bvlenci--I see that you are a Marche expert. We will be traveling to Marche from Rome with our 20 month old grandson. Do you know of any agriturismos that have farm animals? Is the area near Force or Smerillo interesting? Should we rent a car in Rome or take a train to a large town and rent a car from there? Thanks for your help.

Lynne

Edited: 23 June 2012, 07:35
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

I'm not sure which post you want to see. I've made many posts suggesting itineraries in Le Marche. If you go down several pages, you're sure to find some.

A car is very useful in the area you're thinking of visiting. The drive from Rome is not really difficult.The suggested route has you taking the autostrada through Abruzzo to the coast near Teramo, then heading north on the A14 and turning inland at San Benedetto del Tronto. This is certainly the most direct way to go, but once you're past Tivoli, there are no larger towns until you're at the coast. If you take the train towards Ancona, you could rent a car at Orte, but then you'd have to do the drive on smaller roads, which would take longer. You could rent the car at one of the airports to avoid any driving in Rome.

The area around Force and Smerillo is very pretty. I'm more familiar with towns a little to the west, such as Amanadola and Sarnano. Also, Offida to the east, which is a very nice town with a long (and still active) lace-making tradition. Near Montefortino, the Gola del Infernaccio is a very beautiful spot in a mountain gorge. There is a great hike there, but the first part is paved, so you could go a little way with a stroller.

I'm afraid I don't know any agriturismo there. The times we've visited the area we've gone for the day, as we don't live terribly far from there. However, in my experience, not very many agriturismi are really on what you would call working farms. The agriturismo is usually the family's main business, although they have to have some agricultural activity to meet the legal requirements and get the advantages offered to the category.

You may want to consider the distance of a particular lodging from a main road. This is a *very* rural area in the mountains, and you wouldn't want to have a 20-minute drive on narrow twisting roads just to get to a main road. Even the main roads can be very curvy, which is something you should keep in mind if your grandson has any tendency to motion sickness. There are lots of nice places we've avoided going to with my granddaughter, because we know we'd have to make many barf stops.

Edited: 23 June 2012, 17:41
9. Re: Best way to get to Ascoli Piceno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 10:15