We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

Hi, we are planning a day visit to Venice from Bardolino this September. Can anyone advise where we should park and then how to best to arrive in Venice?

Also, any tips of where to have a resonably priced lunch would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Prosecco64

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,975 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

As you go over the bridge into Venice, you will see signs for the Tronchetto parking station. Park there, and take the vaporetto (water bus) into Venice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,859 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

\You may do better to drive to Peschiera on Lake Garda from there get a Train to Venice, parking in Venice is very expensive and not a lot of it,

Restaurants display Menus outside in English priced so you can see what

is available,

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

sophie's is the best advice.A car is as welcome as a disease in Venice.The prices of food in restaurants in Venice will make you wince.We were there last week,we had a very ordinary small Pizza Margerita each (of 2) a glass of wine each,one coffee in a pavement cafe near Ca d'Oro.30 euros.In Jesolo Lido where we were staying a massive top grade Pizza Margerita was 6 euros and a half litre of wine 4.5 euros.

It's a long way there and back to Venice from Bardolino.We had thought about it when we were in Bardolino 2 years ago.Having just been from only an hour's distance I doubt it is worth it from so far away.The crowds are horrendous and in areas like San Marco and Rialto Bridge overpowering.We took the No 1 vaporetto from San Marco to Ca d'Oro for the trip up the Grand Canal to also see Rialto Bridge from the canal.Very congested and 13 euros each for 20 minutes!

I am not obsessed with prices but Venice does milk the tourist.But you have to see it-if only once!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,975 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

>>I am not obsessed with prices but Venice does milk the tourist.<<

This has some truth, but remember that it is very expensive to make deliveries in Venice. All the pizza ingredients, the coffee, the wine, etc., had to be transferred from a truck to a barge at Tronchetto, taken by barge to the landing stage closest to the restaurant, and then wheeled on a hand trolley to the restaurant. And then the reverse with the garbage.

Agree, Venice is an expensive city to visit but, in fairness, it is also an expensive city to run.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

That's true Nick.As we rode in some discomfort on the crowded No 1 vaporetto from San Marco to Ca d'Oro a boat passed us bedecked with floral garlands and a coffin on the platform base.We don't know what the local bars/restos have to pay in taxes/local charges.I can well understand why they may be high.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

Whe I go to Venice (from Lazise/Bardolino) I always drive and always park at the tronchetto. Overall cost is roughly about €60-70 (Parking, Fuel, Autostrada costs). I much prefer the convenience. The train can be a good idea, especially regional, then you only pay €7.90 per person single; however the last Regional return train to Peschiera del Garda is 17:05. All the later services (3 of) require Eurostar which puts the price up to €18.50 single. The last train is at 19:50 requires a change in Desenzano and costs €23.65

For a couple, assuming that you only want to go directly to/from Venice and not stay too late, it's probably easier getting the train, even if you pay the higher ticket prices.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,859 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

I would think they have been and gone by now,

Cheshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

Hi, we are back from a lovely trip to Lake Garda.

Regarding Venice, as we had hired a car we drove to the Tronchetto, it took just under two hours. We had no problems finding a space, though there was a horrendous queue to pay and use the public loo there. No problems catching the vaporetto there and back.

After searching for a restaurant that we could not find we had a pizza with a view of the Rialto bridge for about 8euros each, the pizzas at the restaurant next door were 17euros each!

Many thanks for everyones advice. I'd like to go back to Venice out of season, it was so busy it was hard to soak up the atmosphere.

9. Re: Bardolino to Venice - park & ride?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bardolino
Recent Conversations