We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anybody tell me where this is?

Detroit
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Topic
Can anybody tell me where this is?

I realize that Im taking a shot in the dark here, but Ill ask anyway. This is a picture of the manifest of the ship in which my wife's great grandfather sailed to Ellis Island. In the upper right hand corner is the address of his prior residence which states Northern Italy-Brescia-Volciano then the actual street address. I have no idea what the street address says and have been looking at maps of Roe Volciano, imagining it is the same as Volciano, and looking for via's that could possibly match what is written in the picture. Id like to pinpoint the address.......That way it will be easy to talk my wife into going back to Italy =-), she would die to see where her great grandfather had come from. Thanx

…photobucket.com/albums/…manifest3.jpg

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

It's very difficult to read. Could you print out the street address, please ?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

From Wikipedia: it appears that there are two places with the name Roe' Volciano, one of them a mountain community which is described thus:

Wikipedia:

La Comunità montana della Valle Sabbia è un'unione di comuni composta da 25 comuni in Provincia di Brescia situati in Valle Sabbia (zona omogenea n° 3). La sua sede è a Vestone e come stemma ha le onde (rappresentano il Fiume Chiese e il Lago d'Idro), i monti, le alabarde e il rastrello.

The mountain comunity of the Valle Sabbia is a union of 'comuni' (councils) composed of 25 comuni in the Province of Brescia, situated in the Valle Sabbia. ........ etc.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

Could it be : Via Rolgau ? I can't see anything resembling that initial letter of the name of the road - to figure out what it is... only a lower case 'r' .... ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

I can't read the name either, but the street may have been renamed since 1913. There are streets in Roe Volciano called Giacomo Puccini (1858-1924) and Giacomo Matteotti (1885-1924); nobody would have named streets after them until decades after they died.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

You could try writing to the Comune, to get someone there to help - or to find the name on the local church's lists for baptism / confirmation / marriage / death of members of the family.... I don't know about the Comune's list of names, the Germans seemed to set fire to local records on their retreats during WWII.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,472 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

I doubt that the street address was listed in the last column -- all the other people have their parents'names listed, why only those would have their street address? It would make little sense.

I would rule out that any town hall in Italy could assist in a genealogical search, especially if you only have sketchy info.

Have you tried looking up the Italian white pages to see if the surname exists there?

Detroit
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

Thanx for the input. I know the answer is out there somewhere but its proving to be extraordinarily elusive. I did send an email to the commune figuring that it couldnt hurt and Im waiting to see if they respond, who knows if the recipient reads English and surely what little Italian I tried using made very little sense to them.

According to the ships manifest the last line is the passengers last address, the word Via ????? number 2 would lead me to think that it specifies where he lived, but I could be way off. As far as the word in question Im thinking that the first letter is B, the second is? followed by L then Z...... Bolzari maybe? Who knows. Yes I did search the surname in the phone book, the name being Poli, and found a few dozen listed in Brescia, but none in Roe Volciano. And there are a few Via Polis' scattered throughout the country making me think that its a common name (and according to a waiter in Rome Poli is also some ghastly after dinner drink popular in the north, but thats beside the point =-)

Once I find this address, convincing my wife to go visit Brescia should be a cinch. Thanx a ton for the input on such an odd query, maybe the right person will see this and know exactly where it is, not likely but who knows where the answer will come from?

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,143 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

Just a few thoughts:

A friend of my husband got to us contacting an important association in the town where he was born. He found a person of good will who took the bother to ask around. Maybe you could do the same....and be lucky.

www.comune.roevolciano.bs.it/associazioni

This is the Elder people group...maybe someone remembers the family:

www.comune.roevolciano.bs.it/node/968

or

www.comune.roevolciano.bs.it/node/972

Association People of Volciano

Local people are usually very happy to help such researches and have more time to do it.

You could send your question to the local newspaper. They may publish it.

www.vallesabbianews.it/it/Scrivici.html

Good luck!

9. Re: Can anybody tell me where this is?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Brescia
Recent Conversations