We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Can anyone comment on scenery at Col Rodela? Hoping for stunning dolomite formations. We are thinking of hiking from the lift.

Is the trail from the lift /Rif Col Rodela to Rif Passo Sella difficult (my information says it's an hour). Or would it be better to go west for scenery etc to Rif F. August and Rif Sandro Pertini?

How does the Col Rodela compare for scenery and trails with taking the lift from Canazei to Pecol and then on to Col de Rosc/Belvedere?

Thanks!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Hello,

there's scenery everywhere up there! You get higer if you go up Belvedere, as it takes you to the top of the Sella Massif. If you go up Col Rodella you get views of the Sella Massif, and you're closer to the Sassolungo. If you wanted to you could walk down to the Passo Sella (I'm not sure it's an hour down, maybe 45 minutes up though!) you could catch the "Coffin" lift up to the Sassolungo forcella - again different views.

It's all wonderful. Any reason you have to choose? Are you only here for the day?

DD

Edited: 26 July 2012, 12:52
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Thanks dolomite Daisy. We do have 2 days in canazei so might be able to do both, depending on weather and whatever else we want to do in the area (last week of August). We fly into Munich, take the train to Bolzano, spend one day there, then plan to drive to canazei via Tires and passo negra.

After leaving canazei we plan to drive the Gt Dolomite Road to Cortina and on down toward Venice.

The next week on our drive back to Milan we plan to stop for about two days in Tramin on the Weinstrasse and then Limone

sul Garda for 2 days.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Wow - sounds lovely (but long!)

If I may suggest,going from Bolzano to Canazei to Venice, then back up to Tramin before heading down to Limone is not the most logical route...unless you have to return a hire car?

Tramin is very close to Bolzano, so maybe you could slip it in between Bolzano and Canazei..

DD

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

DD: on the surface it does not seem logical, but we are not going all the way to Venice. We've been there once before and once is enough to that very over-touristed spot. We would rather spend time in the Dolomites and lakes. But we want to visit someone down that way near Treviso on the weekend, thus some extra round about driving. So we go back to Weinstrasse on monday, then down to limone and on to Lugano, bellinzona and leaving from Milan. I've puzzled over the logistics and timing but it seems this is the best way to do it so that we can see what we want to, as well as visit fiends when they are available. ( We fly into Munich and take the train down to Bolzano initially).

We have 3 weeks and that is just not enough! We did a similar trip in 2008, but with variations--lake como, Milan, train to Bolzano, driving to Vigo di fassa, over the sella pass to la villa/corvara, and Venice. We didn't spend any time in bolzano on that trip

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Hello - In August of this year, we're staying in Campitello di Fassa to do the Col Rodela lift and were hoping for great views and a 2-4 hour hike. Can you tell me if you ended up going, and how were the views? Would you recommend it, or suggest another lift (we only have one day)...Thanks - Tom (New Jersey, U.S.)

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Yes we went to Col Rodella and it was fantastic. We hiked to Rifugio Fredrich August off to the left of the lift and then farther to the left to Rifugio Sandro Pertini. It was an easy hike. It was probably about 3 hours over and back. Had a nice light lunch at Sandro Pertini. There are other hikes also in the direction of Passo sella. The views when you come off the lift are to die for. I hope you get a clear day! The previous time we were in the Dolomites we took the lift from Vigo di Fassa we took the lift there up to Ciampedie and walked in the diection toward Rifugo Pruess. That was also very dramatic. The Dolomites is my favorite place in the world out of all the places I've been--scenery, food, people, villages, and overall ambience and hospitality.

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Thanks so much. Sounds like we'll skip other lifts like Belvedere and do Col Rodella.

If you recall helpful websites that you used to plan out your hike, please let me know (like http://www.seiser-alm.it/en/leisure-activities/mountains-and-hiking/from-saltria-to-passo-sella-on-the-friedrichaugusttrail/).

Lodging: We may stay at Hotel Ladina or Hotel Alaska, very close to the Col Rodella lift. You happen to stay there or nearby, or can you recommend an alternative?

Thanks - Tom

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

We stayed at the Hotel Jan Maria on the edge of Canazei. It was just a short drive from the Col Rodella lift and there was plenty of parking there the last week of August. I liked it because it was a short distance off the main road-the great dolomite highway, as opposed to some hotels right on the road in the middle of towns where it can be quite crowded with highway noise. It had a great 3-course evening dinner with menu choices plus salad bar as part of the half board plan. Also a block away from the charming old Ladin village of Gries. I reviewed this hotel if you want more details.

I'll have to look for hiking information links and get back to you.

Are you sure you only have a day? Don't know your other plans but in my estimation this area should be priority above some other areas.

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Have a day and a half. Hear you loud/clear. It's a first time to Europe with our children trip, where we're doing Rome-to Venice-to passing thru the Dolomites-to Tuscany villa to relax. Your recommendations are great. Thank you. Will check out your hotel.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking at Col Rodela; also Pecol/Belvedere

Tom: helpful websites--the Val di Fassa site is very useful for the Campitello/Canazei area--under Summer. These travel brochures and maps are available at the tourist offices found in every town and usually in the hotels. The area is very well organized with lots of well marked trails linked to lifts and the rifugios. One thing that may be confusing in the Dolomites is that everything (towns, streets, rifugios etc) have 2-3 names--in Italian, German and also sometimes in Ladin, the ancient Romance language coming from the Romans in the isolated valleys.

Some links: http://www.fassa.com/EN/Folder--Walks/ (these at lower valley levels), http://www.fassa.com/EN/Folder--Via-Alpina/, www.fassa.com/EN/Folder--Nordic-Walking/ (shows the Col Rodela trails and rifugios).

Another map: aliceinwonderlands.com/Europe/…campitello.htm

Lifts information: fassa.com/EN/Lifts-opening-times-and-prices/

Another dramatic spot is the Coronelle/Kolner Rifugio at the top of the Laurin Lift. You can hike from there to Rifugio Paolina which also has a lift: tiers.it/en/summer/active/hiking/hiking-tour…