We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Palace questions

Which Caserta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
510 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Palace questions

I read through lots of the reviews of the palace....looks like the gardens are not to be missed! There were more than just a few reviews that remarked on the state of the palace itself--I would imagine a place of that size would be difficult (and expensive) to keep up.

Given the sheer size, how much time would be reasonable to spend here? I'm thinking a quick look on the inside and then devote more time to the gardens (assuming good weather).

It seems that picnic lunches are both allowed and seemed to be encouraged? I read that bicycles are available to rent-- only 1 euro?? (I would be all over that...but a few in my party might balk), but there was also mention of a mini-bus?/ shuttle? that used to bring people down to the waterfall at the end of the garden, but may not be still in use? Can anyone shed some light on that one?

My daughter-in-law is a big Star Wars fan--I read that this was used as the princess's residence.(original? or re-make?) I am not a sci-fi fan and never saw any of the movies. I love to get an 'iconic' photo of the place for her. Any suggestions?

Oh my goodness, so many questions..........much thanks to whatever you can answer!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Palace questions

Although the Palace is made up of 1200 rooms, many of them are closed to the public - as they're used as offices by various local and national organisations.... who are, understandably, most reluctant to move out!

The Italian airforce have long had a presence there. Zoom in on GoogleMaps and you'll perhaps spot several jet aircraft in a car park, just to the west of the main building... one of them, evidently, a Lockheed Starfighter?

Since our last visit a further nine rooms have been restored and opened, as shown in this short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8oCioWako

As for movies, the palace has been used for 'Angels and Demons', as the Vatican in "Mission Impossible III" and the home of Louis XVIII in the 1970s epic, "Waterloo"... with the monumental Royal Staircase appearing in "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace", as one of the locations for Queen Amidalai's Theed Palace on the planet Naboo.... it's huge, so be sure to bring your widest-angle lens!

After arriving there from Naples, it's unlikely that you'd finish a thorough visit of the Palace and its grounds, with the various waterways and gardens, before lunchtime. On the two occasions we stayed long enough, we ate in their canteen/refectory - almost the last 'room' before the exit from the palace into the grounds.... and, whilst not exactly haute cuisine, it was OK for "inflight-refueling"!

Brief details of that, and of the bikes, buses and horse and carriage rides, here....

…beniculturali.it/index.php/…814.html

.... from which I note that the 1 Euro price is what you pay to bring in your own bike - with hire charges starting from €4 per hour.

I'd suggest getting someone from your hotel to ring and confirm all of that - before deciding, for instance, whether or not to bring a picnic? An Italian version of the page can be found on....

…beniculturali.it/index.php/informazioni-uti…

For other bits and pieces from various TA members that may be useful, perhaps skim through...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k64…

... and have a read of the reviews?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g194713-…

Shame you won't have the car, as CasertaVecchia - from where the population was dragged, so as to establish the new town of Caserta, built around the Palace - and the San Leucio silkworks might have rounded off the day nicely!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/caserta

Dublin
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Palace questions

Peter,

I'm a bit confused. Do you know if the park AND palace are closed every Tuesday?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Palace questions

Not able to tell you from personal experience, as we've avoided going on a Tuesday - although that is what I take them to be saying here....

…beniculturali.it/index.php/orarieprezzi.html

... with the exception being occasional days when 'extraordinary' openings are decreed by the Ministry!

Not impossibly, some tour groups may be allowed to show themselves round the gardens that day.... and locals may well find their way in... but I'd work on the basis that we of the unwashed public can't?

Peter

Dublin
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Palace questions

Thanks Peter.

It's unfortunate. We'll be staying in Praiano end of Sept and dropping some of our party off at the airport on a Tuesday it would have been the day for us to see Caserta gardens.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Palace questions

Ain't that the way of it?

Bit of an additional schlep, but Tuesdays are one of the days when the gardens at "La Mortella" here on Ischia are open... see:

http://www.lamortella.org/en/

... and this, for more...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g194873-i751-k46…

If you're interested - and your friend has an early enough check-in - you could perhaps drive to Pozzuoli and leave the car there, to come over by ferry?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Dublin
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Palace questions

Peter thanks for that. I'll have a look and see if we can fit it in.

7. Re: Royal Palace questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 21:16