We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Which Castellina In Chianti hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
166 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Hi - we will be driving through Castellina on the way from Florence airport to Montalcino on a Thursday afternoon around 3pm later this month. We will be having a lot of slow, sit down meals during our trip. However, we will want to stretch our legs and grab a snack such as some pizza and a gelato during our trip to Montalcino. Is there a pizza shop or other quick, casual food option you can recommend here?

San Francisco...
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Great pizza or panini in castellina..worth a stop to my fav hill town in Toscana

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
166 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Excellent - thanks for your quick reply. Is there a particular place for pizza or panini you would recommend or is it best to take a look around or ask in town when we arrive? So many hill towns, so little time.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Antica Delizia has some of the best gelato in Tuscany in our opinion. It's near where several of the main roads meet. Not sure if it's open this time of year though.

San Francisco...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Pizzeria il Fondaccio...to me some of the best pizza in italia.....outside seating..can't miss it..and yes the gelato listed above is incredible

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

I and the famous Elena Spolaor (and a lot of others) agree with jerryott:

chianti.info/chianti/…

Open from April onwards.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 01:41
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Fabulous gelateria was very much closed when we drove through Castellina last week, and lunch options weren't great either. In fact, with the exception of that bar near the Coop, we only found one place open in the entire village and that was a pizzeria on the main pedestrian street in the centre (on the right as you head south). Personally, I prefer Greve for lunch out of season as it has a far larger choice of restaurants but most would stop serving at around 2.30 pm.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
166 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

Thanks for your local knowledge everyone - I feared these spots might be closed at the off time and season we would be driving through town in a couple of weeks.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

I've replied to you somewhere else on the forum today that Monteriggioni might be a better bet for what you are seeking as that sees far more casual visitor Italian day trippers and even in winter has 3 or 4 different types of places open selling light lunches / snacks / ice creams. I was last there in December on a rotten day weather-wise but, even so, there was a good choice of eateries open mid-afternoon (ie after lunch).

9. Re: Casual Snack or Lunch Option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Castellina In Chianti