We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

Hello,

We are planning on visiting Sicily for 8 nights in May, staying in 2 areas.

1) 3-4 nights in the West, perhaps inland near Segesta

2) 4-5 nights near/in Siracusa

I love old temples/ruins/castles etc, so my question is would you recommend all 3 of Segesta, Selinunte and Agrigento or should I drop one due it not being worth the visit or due to time constraints?

Any other recommendations in the area / close to these sights? There seems to be so much to chose from I'm getting confused!

Thanks

Jason

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

I should have also mentioned that I will be getting a rental car!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

Welcome to Sicily kiwijase!

If you love temples, ruins and castles, there’s no better way for you to spend your time than to visit Segesta, Selinunte and Agrigento and Erice (castle).

Segesta and Selinunte are easily reached from the A29.

Selinunte and the Valley of the Temples are quite different.

You'll see more temples in Agrigento and the Temple of Concordia is absolutely stunning!

But Selinunte is definitely less touristy. The ruins in Selinunte are scattered, and much of the area is deserted. You can actually walk among the ruins, unlike the Valley of the Temples. The setting is perfect – Very scenic, over a large area, very peaceful. It permits a good feel for what a Greek city was like. You can hear the sea crashing below on the beach.

And Selinunte in spring is near perfect as captured in this article by Mary Taylor Simeti.

TOTALLY IMMERSED IN SICILY:

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

The area around Catsellammare-Scopello is close to the A29, and a good base for visiting Erice, Segesta, and Selinunte.

Around Scopello, the simple family-owned Pensione Tranchina is delightful.

Pensione Tranchina:

http://www.pensionetranchina.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g608929-d633155…

In Castellammare del Golfo, Cala Marina has a perfect location right along the marina.

http://www.hotelcalamarina.it/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g608929-d600228…

And equally well positioned around Selinunte and the A29, as well as along the southern coast's SS115, Il Bed and Breakfast Charme e Relax Villa Sogno is wonderful!

Il Bed and Breakfast Charme e Relax Villa Sogno:

http://www.villasogno.it/

www.siciliano.it/_pagina_beb.cfm…

…bbplanet.it/bed-and-breakfast-villa-sogno-s…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g665937-d660…

And inland around Tangi on the outskirts of Erice, Rustico Tangitano is a restored farmer’s house in the countryside.

www.dicasainsicilia.com/index.php…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

Thank-you very much for your response.

How many hours would you estimate it takes to visit each of these sites?

Jason

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

Agrigento really warrants half a day - The Valley of the Temples is an impressive site.

Allow at least 2+ hours to “really” visit Segesta – Though there’s a shuttle bus to the Teatro, if at all possible, walk. The Greeks certainly had an eye for beauty! The temple is magnificent, and the views are some of Sicily’s best.

Selinunte is scattered – 4 areas, so again allow time – Probably around 3 hours. There are electric carts to take you around.

Erice is tiny, but if you really explore the cobbled alleys, stop for pastries at Maria Grammatica, visit the castle.... allow half a day.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,734 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

Hi kiwijase,

I recently re-visited Segesta, Selinunte and the Valley of the Temples - You're in for a treat!

Michelin may rate Selinunte slightly lower than the other two – ”Recommended” as opposed to “Highly Recommended”, but Selinunte was simply wonderful.

You can actually walk among the ruins, feel what a Greek city was like, see and hear the seas below. It’s a large area, and though there are carts available for transport, walk if at all possible.

It’s less crowded and parking is good.

Plan time to visit the very significant (and well done) Museo Regionale Archeologico (Regional Archaeological Museum) at the Valley of the Temples - It does not disappoint!

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

Hi kiwijase,

I join Vagabonda's advise in suggesting you visit all three the archeological sites.

If you love old temples/ruins/castles etc you will find what you are looking for. Although the temples in Segesta and in the Valley are stunning and in an excellent state Selinunte is my favourite because you will be able to walk around the greek city and find the time and space to take it all in without being surrounded by other tourists.

Erice is a gem, on a great location with fantastic views!

On the east side of the island don't miss the archeological park of Syracuse with it's impressive Theatre (2h visist), the Catacombs os San Giovanni (30mins visit underground) and Ortigia.

I'm confident that the Baroque towns of Noto, Modica and Ragusa will be of your taste too, with palaces, narrow streets and beautiful churches there is alot to explore.

Salvo

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

All great destinations Salvo, and it would be near impossible for me to pick a favourite, but I do visit Selinunte each spring when the wildflowers bloom, and the site is especially pretty.

I have never understood the lower rating with Michelin - It doesn't get better than Selinunte!

Vagabonda

canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

My vote goes to Selinunte too, even not in Spring.

9. Re: Segesta / Selinunte / Agrigento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Cefalu
Recent Conversations