We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with budget question..........

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help with budget question..........

I think we're going to try and do 16 nights but I'm not sure what to plan on as far as cost.

Not including flights, how much should we try and plan on for the following:

We're looking at possibly staying in the Tuscany area for at least a couple nights, Palermo for 3 or 4 nights, Taormin area for 3 or 4 and also the Southeast and spending some beach time.

The reason I'm asking because I noticed quite a difference in price between Palermo and Taormin hotels. I did notice some of the hotels include breakfast.

We also plan on renting a car and driving around Sicily. Also plan on doing some excursions, but not sure what at this time....still have research to do.

Also are there places to buy wine and beer for your hotel room, as opposed to sitting in a lounge and having drinks.

Some of the hotels I've looked at have beautiful balconies and it would be nice to unwind there in the evening.

I have no idea what meals cost so that is something I'll also need to know and I know there can be a lot of variables.. We do like to eat and don't usually skip meals on vacation.

I'm not basing this on a certain amount but just trying to get some idea how much money we should plan on spending. We have a certain amount we allot for vacations each year. I also want to plan on any unexpected expenses and of course plan on spending money doing some shopping.

So, for those of you who have traveled and those who are planning your trips, roughly how much should we plan on spending for the aforementioned?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with budget question..........

Taormina is Sicily’s chicest and most expensive destination – But it is possible to stay in Taormina on a budget.

The Taormina’s Tourist Information website lists all accommodations and price ranges with links to the hotel websites.

casaleonardi.dyndns.org/accommodation_en.htm

These earlier threads should offer some idea of what to expect.

Prices:

http://www.bestofsicily.com/faqs.htm#prices

Cost:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4388…

Reasonably priced restaurants:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4774…

Supermarket prices:

tripadvisor.com/…33491815

Inexpensive Supermarket:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4627…

Vagabonda

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with budget question..........

Why are you including a couple of nights in Tuscany in a Sicily trip? You do realize that Tuscany is north of Rome, that there are very few non-stop flights from Tuscany to Sicily, that adding an internal flight within Italy adds to the budget? Why do it for only "a couple of nights"?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with budget question..........

We found Italy to be cheap last year by Australian standards. We always book hotels with breakfast included as it saves time as well as money. In Sicily the hotels seemed to feature sweet-tooth breakfasts and I am still trying to get rid of the weight I put on! We usually only could fit in two courses for dinner and we noticed many of the skinny locals just had one course. it is fun to have a starter and a main, them wander around and get a coffee or gelato later.

With the car hire, the cars are much more fuel efficient than the cars that we have here in Australia, so even though the fuel is pricey, we hardly used any. There are some toll roads but again, the tolls are a fraction of a price to what they are in Sydney (we pay $5 one-way on the cross-city tunnel and in Sicily I remember paying maybe a dollar on the autostradas.) You often pay to park, but again more of a token payment.

You can buy wine and I suppose beer, which we dont drink, all over the place. we found the house wines good and very cheap.

We were paying up to 120 euros a night for three or four star hotels, perhaps 60 euros for dinner and 15 for lunch, 50 for car and fuel. Sightseeing was cheap and even though golf was supposed to be expensive, when we hesitated, they halved the price!

Adding it up, perhaps we spent $US400 a day. But we brought home lots of euros, ready for this year!

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with budget question..........

Karen....thank you. Your post helps us budget better.

Zerlina....visiting Tuscany was something our cousins did before their Sicily trip...I may have to rethink that...this is all just tentative.

Vagabonda....thank you as usual for your great information.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with budget question..........

Thanks for an informative report KarenKwag – Sicily is a good value destination!

Prego get_away_from_it_all – You could certainly spend all your time in Sicily, but if you’d like to see another region in addition to Sicily and you have the time to spend, it’s certainly possible, especially via low-cost intra-Italian flights.

Vagabonda

Edited: 31 January 2012, 15:38
6. Re: Help with budget question..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 10:18