We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Cefalu

Which Cefalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Cefalu

We have just returned from a week in Cefalu, we didnt travel round Sicily even so I do believe that Cefalu is a must see place!!

It is a truly beautiful spot, the choice of restaurants is endless and the quality of food is generally very good, the cost of eating out is very cheap!! The buildings are just beautiful and lovely to just look at and admire.

The beach is quite small but lovely, there is a walk way along the beach, everybody seems to stop and look over the wall at the sunbathers but that is part of the fun!! The sun sets are amazing and some of the restaurants look onto the water and you feel almost part of it!! Also the complimentry Limoncello you get after almost every meal is very nice :)

The old town is a lovely place to wander round with lots of nooks and cranies to explore, the buildings are so interesting and the little shops cute to wander round, lots of places to stop for ice cream or coffee. It is a living town not a resort and so much more interesting than any resort, you get a chance to see real people living real lives, which is always interesting when visiting a new country.

The Duomo is beautiful and well worth a visit also.

Fresh fruit and veg is available at every cornor and is so cheap its amazing, it tastes like it has just been picked and it probably has!!

We were lucky enough to get an apartment with a sea view, we went through homeidays.com, we had a lovely apartment, it was small but the view from the balcony was amazing!!! I hated saying goodbye to it!!! There was a building site next door, but there were only a couple of guys on the site so it wasnt too noisy. We used http://www.robertourcefalu.com recomended by vagabonda for transfers and they were excellent, rang the lady we were renting from and arranged where to met, I would highly recomend them!!

We received excellent advice from the Cefalu forum lots of helpful hints!! Again thanks to Vagabonda!!!! I think I have said amazing way too many times........ but I cant find enough words to compliment this place!!

Cefalu is beautiful, well worth a visit and I hope to visit again soon!!!

Edited: 31 May 2012, 22:36
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Cefalu

You had an AMAZING holiday abbeycourt – It was my pleasure.....

All your planning and searching for a town and apartment, and decisions about a car hire or transfer was worth it, wasn’t it?! :-)

Thank you for a perfectly lovely report !

All the best to you!

Vagabonda

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Cefalu

I really do have a better command of the English language than it would appear from that report!! :)

If you live in Sicily..... I am envious.. enjoy, weather a bit too hot for me, but thats a good complaint!!

Once again thanks for all the help and yes it was well worth all the thinking, asking and planning... deff paid off!! Thankfully you didnt get fed up answering questions :)

Best regards

Abbeycourt

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Cefalu

I'd like to think the place is still much how we saw it!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/cefalu

Perhaps don't tell me if things have changed?

Peter

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Cefalu

Hi Peter

Dont no really what to tell you, from your pics I would think it probably has got much busier. The Palazzo in front of the Cathedral has lots of coffee shops and restaurants on it, flowers etc. Not sure how it was when you were there but from photo looked emptier!! The beach and little port are the same, so pretty!! No big neon signs either, but there is a big screen, not sure why, dont think it should be there, but not my town!!!

The buildings looks the same lovely colours, all in all I would'nt think it has changed too much, maybe more crowded, I'm not sure abount that!!

Go back if you can and revisit.... deff worth a second go round!! :0

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Cefalu

Thanks!

Sure I would have tried to avoid them, however I don't remember quite so many tables as this person has included in their photo...

www.flickr.com/photos/swehrmann/7292879318/

And that screen... if not an open air cinema, then surely for either the Pope - or Euro 2012 !

Peter

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Cefalu

Grazie abbeycourt - Thankfully you didn’t give up on Cefalù!

Cefalù is realising its potential, and it’s becoming a popular resort town blending genuine Sicilian life with tourism. Much depends when you visit Cefalù. Cefalù is less crowded and more genuine outside peak season, but Cefalù rises to the demands of tourism during the peak season.

The look of Cefalù’s historic centre is relatively unchanged, but the number of restaurants and flats for hire increases each year, as do the newer and more upscale hotels along the lungomare.

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Cefalu

Yes Vagabonda I'm glad I didn't give up on Cefalu too and have been singing its praises to everyone!!!!

That pic is more like what I saw!! But, it was probably not high season when we were there, mid to late May, so while there was a nice buzz around it wasnt packed!!

There was a real feel of being in the middle of an ordinary town, with people living their ordinary lives!!!

However it was great to have so many restaurants available and they were all busy every night, which for me is great, I dont really enjoy being in a restaurant when its empty!!! There didn't seem to be alot of English/Irish visitors, again I kinda like that, there deff was'nt any effort to conform to the whole fish and chip regime.... thank God!!

Again for me Cefalu was perfect.... beautiful really beautiful, the feeling of a living town with the advantage of having lots of fab restaurants and lovely beaches!!! I am a tourist after all

Regards

Abbeycourt

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Cefalu

So well stated abbeycourt, and a true description of Cefalù as a living town, as well as a beach resort – Yes, late May isn’t high season, and there are many advantageous to visiting on either end of high season.

Kind regards to you!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Cefalu

Just reading your posts Abbeycourt and Vagabond and so excited as we've booked an apartment in the historic area of Cefalu for 6 nights in September (in Catania for four nights before that) and you gave made me so excited to visit now!!! Any and all restaurant and day trip suggestions very appreciated;)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Cefalu

Welcome to Sicily Mrs_stripey_cushions!

Visit Mount Etna, Siracusa, and Taormina from Catania – AST runs the bus service from Catania to Etna, and you could take the train or Interbus from Catania to Siracusa and Taormina.

Taormina shares its train station with Giardini-Naxos and the station is located below Taormina on the coast near Giardini-Naxos, requiring a bus or taxi from Taormina down to the station.

Enjoy la cucina catanese at the new and wonderful Ciciulena.

http://www.ciciulena.com/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187888-d2…

And Catania’s Slow Food Metro always serves local ingredients, but also Frutti di Mare da Nitto, Osteria Antica Marina, Eat Pizzeria....

Visit Palermo and Monreale from Cefalù – Take the train or SAIS Trasporti bus from Cefalù to Palermo.

There are three bus options from Palermo to Monreale – The AMAT urbano #389 (not on Sundays), AST (not on Sundays), and Palermo City Sightseeing (May to October).

Monreale:

tripadvisor.com/…41053331

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k5383…

Palermo Bus # 389:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5383…

There are many wonderful trattorie in Cefalù’s historic centre – Kentia, Ristorante Vecchia Marina, Le Chat Noir, Il covo del pirata, Il Gabbiano, Al Porticciolo, Lo Scoglio Ubriaco....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5610…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda