We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

Which Cefalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

I will be staying 3 nights in the Cefalu/ Madonie Area. A big attraction for me is to explore the towns in the Madonie.

I would like to avoid driving here, but maybe someone is going to suggest a hire/ rental car inorder to explore the towns in the area.

Is there a Hop On/ Hop Off bus tour in the area? Are the local bus schedules reliable here? Is there a local bus servicing the Madonie towns?

And is Cefalu a good base for here?

How many days would be required to see the Madonie area?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,225 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

You might then hire the car in Taormina or Aeroporto Catania. You would find the best selection of suppliers at Catania's airport.

Vagabonda

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

If I rent the car in Taormina (AVIS), where can I drop it off in Cefalu?

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

We drove the scenic route in the Parco Regionale delle Madonie today. 170 km and a long day! The weather wasn't perfect. We had hoped for sunshine and blue skies. What we got was a few drops of rain, a lot of clouds in more than fifty shades of grey and as the day progressed some blue appeared. But then, maybe this kind of weather is even more interesting than perfect blue skies. It made for some dramatic pictures anyway.

The route is very scenic, everywhere you look. The road is in good condition from Sant' Ambroggio (which is were we started) upto Petralia. From there on it was a rather bumpy ride, so you have to watch out in order not to damage your tires. The park is beautiful nonetheless with a great variety in the flora, some very deserted parts, picture postcard perfect hilltop villages, Alpine meadows with cows-with-bells, ... really very lovely. We took the short detour to Gangi. Breathtaking! It's such a pity that there aren't many spots along the road where you can park your car for a while to take pictures because after every curve there's a new photo opportunity. We just stopped our car on the road (on a long stretch, not in a curve of course, verifying that no one was coming behind us), and turned on the four blinkers. We saw other people doing the same although it was pretty quiet on the road.

It was Sunday, so everything was closed and the villages seemed dead. We did manage to find a bar open in Petralia Soprana on the pretty village square. We did not manage to find a restaurant within opening hours (12:00 - 14:00) so we had to wait until we were in Collesano, which is almost at the end of the tour, when we found a pasticceria that had some slices of pizza. I'm so glad the big bag of prunes that I bought yesterday was still in the car. At least we got something to eat along the way. And of course we always have water with us.

We truly enjoyed our day in the mountains. One word of warning: watch out for cows on the road. Yes, ON the road!

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

Amboseli....

I had the following towns in mind for the trip. I also have two days in the park, so I'll be taking my time and surely visiting the inside of the towns.

Collesano... Scillato... Polizzi Generosa... Castellana Sicula.... Petralia Sottana... Petralia Soprano... Gangi... Geraci Siculo... Castelbuono...

We are considering our base to be in Polizzi Genrosa, on an old farm suggested by Vagabonda.

The Pull Overs while Driving: We've spent some time in Tuscany and I always end up sopping the car at pull overs or on the side of the road to get pictures also. Are the Road Shoulders you speak about, similar to those in Tuscany, or are they more narrow? I always found that I had plenty of room to pull over in Tuscany, as long I did so safely!

This is one of the highlights for me (the Madonie)! I love driving town to town and photographing the everyday life!

Its a big itinerary, but I have two full days and 3 nights! Hopefully I can squeeze it all in!

Glad to hear you had a Good day driving. I love the cloud cover... like you ssid, it adds more drama to pics, and helps with the highlight overexposure!

Cheers!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,225 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

Here's the Avis information for Cefalù.

avisautonoleggio.it/Autonoleggio/Europa/Ital…

Thanks for a lovely report amboseli - Yes, Gangi is worth the detour!

Vagabonda

Edited: 23 September 2013, 02:24
Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

SLaing1979, I don't know what you mean by 'pull overs' and 'road shoulders' (English isn't my mother tongue). I can tell you that the roads are wide enough to stop on the road for a bit.There are a lot of hairpins, but the road is never really narrow. The driving is different than in Tuscany because this is a route in the mountains. We even drove above the treetopline! But then, I know someone who drove the route with a camper without any problems at all.

Enjoy the journey!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,225 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

An agriturismo is a good choice for a stay in the Madonie, because dinner is typically provided at an agriturismo, so there's no concerns about driving back to your lodging late at night.

choosing an agriturismo near polizzi generosa:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3003…

B&B in Polizzi Generosa:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3701…

Agriturismo Pollizzi Generosa Madonie area:

tripadvisor.com/…41117533

There are no pullovers or shoulders on the Madonie roads, but these roads are also not very busy. You would stop along the side of the road. The SS120 is one of the more scenic roads in Sicily, but there are sections of this road where stopping wouldn't be advised.

Vagabonda

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

Some Madonie towns are worth a visit, others less so...you could perhaps skip Scillato and Castellana, not very attractive and with little to see or do (nothing at all in Scillato!). Gangi, Castelbuono, Polizzi are much nicer and worth the time spent.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,225 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

Although you could drive the entire loop as described in the first post, it isn't necessary to do, and Castelbuono, Petralia Soprana, Petralia Sottana, and Polizzi Generosa are nice towns and villages.

Vagabonda

Motza Ilit
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Madonie... best way to tour the towns?

Hi,

Vagabonda has given some brilliant advice today as it took be hours to figure out a route through the Madonie. I plan on leaving from Cefalu and staying overnight in Petralia Soprana (or one of the other towns) and then continue south to the south-easterm Baroque towns -- Ragusa, Modici, Ispica, Noto, Palazzolo Acreide. What is the best way to connect between these two areas? Any advice.

Thanks,

Larry