We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

Hi! I'm traveling in June to Chiavari, Italy, and my plane lands in Pisa Airport. I was wondering if anyone could suggest the easiest route from the airport to Chiavari because I know that I can take the trains, but as I'll be coming in with two large suitcases alone at 8pm, I'm nervous about dragging my way through two connections. Is there some sort of shuttle I can take? And if I need to take the trains, will it be safe for girl traveling alone at night (I've never been anywhere in Italy, so I have no idea about anything!)? Thanks for any help!

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

It is 130 km (80 miles) from Pisa airport to Chiavari. There is no shuttle.

However, you need to reconsider your luggage. For travel by train, it is essential that you do not have more luggage than you can *comfortably* handle by yourself. There is nobody to help you at the stations, there may be stairs to the platforms, and there are always a few steep steps up into the train.

The trains are safe.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

Looks like you will need to get the 21.03 Frecciabianca from Pisa Central to La Spezia Centrale arriving at 21.42 then change trains and get the 21.53 from La Spezia Centrale to Chiavari arriving at 22.43. There are lifts on each platform on Pisa Centrale and also lifts at La Spezia Centrale

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,480 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

Although there is a train station at Pisa Airport, to make the train from Pisa Centrale suggested by reply 2 you must leave the airport station at 20.18. So you are likely to need a taxi for the short journey to Centrale.

Note that train times are not yet available for dates after June 8. If travelling on June 9 or after, you should check once they are available online to make sure the times are the same as now.

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

I don't really have a choice about the luggage because I'm studying abroad and will fly out from Italy, but do you know if the trains are fine with me bringing that much luggage on? They should be because it will be emptier at night, right? Also, do you think I'll make the 10 minute train switch in La Spezia Centrale in time? I don't really know the layout of the station.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?

There is also the Lam Rossa Bus that is regular if there is a queue for taxis and they are in short supply as was the case last Saturday night at 21.00 pm. You can take 2 cases on the train it is not like Ryanair and nobody checks your luggage. There are 7 platforms at La spezia Centrale. You may be in luck as the 21.03 is going on to Genoa (but unfortunately not stopping anywhere before) and northbound trains to Genoa and Turin normally stop on platform 2. although as the 21.53 will probably start from here then it may not depart from platform 2 even though it is going to Genoa. There is a an underground passage connecting all the platforms that is centrally located. There is also a manually operated lift on each platform should you struggle with the stairs. If your train is on time 12 mins should not be a problem.Failing that the 23.10 from La spezia Centrale arrives in chiavari at 00.13 based on tomorrows timetable

Reply to: How can I best get from Pisa Airport to Chiavari?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chiavari
Recent Conversations