We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chioggia

dublin
1 post
Save Topic
Chioggia

Hi -We are a family of 3 children looking for one weeks accomodation in July (19th onwards ) in Chioggia -we intend not to hire a car & would really like an appartment in a central location -Chioggia seems ok -equally we are open to suggestions in surrounding towns -Thanks

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chioggia

Looking at the map I can understand why someone might choose Chioggia (near to the sea and close to Venice etc.). However Chiog' is a working fishing town and you may have a better chance of keeping the kids happy being at its neighbour Sottomarina where you have the beach.

Chioggia is not all that well conected to the outside world either ! The train service to Rovigo is not frequent nor are the buses to Venice. The ferry service to Venice is a great experience in itself but takes a couple of hours at least.

I like the honesty of Chioggia but I doubt that it make for a good base. My personal preference would be to base at Montegrotto or Treviso but then I never had 3 children !!

Be warned, July will be HOT !

Good luck

Bob.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chioggia

Hello,

Yes, I totally agree that July will be VERY HOT ! Make sure the hotel is totally air conditioned. Venice and surrounding area is very humid in the summer. Best time to visit would really be April/May/September.

Good luck!

Chioggia
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chioggia

HI SecretDublin

Just reopened this thread for the first time in a long time... I have written several postings on Chioggia Sottomarina in the past..

As previous contributors already advised you .. do come /go to Sottomarina , which is part of the Chioggia town council... just two different bits of "island".. if you look at the map , it will become clearer.

There are lots of hotels of all shapes and sizes in Sottomarina either on the Lungomare along the very long sea front... or in the streets just behind .. in any case but a minute or minutes on foot to the front.

The bus services from Piazzale Roma are very regular as they are from and to Padua too... starting around 05H00 am or 05.30 .. and they are very punctual unless there has been a holdup on the roads on account of an accident or very bad weather.

Traffic in the summer can also cause delays .. be warned if you are catching a plane or train..

I should have said regular and FREQUENT too !!

:D

The walk to Chioggia proper is across the "pontestradale" /the causeway road which will give you a chance to see the magnificent views in various directions.. Sometimes one can see t he Dolomites too .

In the summer, there is one daily return boat trip to Venice from the Pontestradale previously mentioned .. leaving around 09.00 am .. and coming back from Venice late afternoon /early evening..

this is very convenient in relation to staying in Sottomarina.

If your children are too young to walk too far.. there are buses.. they are often very full - this service being used a lot by residents... idem for the buses going out of town .. a lot of people work elswewhere in Venice or Padua , etc...

Watch out for certain festa.. and there is also a big firework evening.. check with the tourist office..

Watch out too .. for the delicious ice-cream shops.. around the main square in Sottomarina .. opposite to the Astoria Complex which is situated on the beach itself.

There are a lot of beaches where one pays but also some that are free .. there is also a quite large swimming pool in the summer months only.. which is actually poised above the beach in the centre.. run by the town.. other private beaches also sometimes have a pool and leisure centres.

Hope that this will be useful..

ps Chioggia and its canals are a joy to see .. the fish market too ..

pps

I love the town .. to the extend that I bought a little house in Sottomarina in 2004 !

Have a lovely

holiday

A.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chioggia

I so agree with you, we have visited on many occasions from Venice, but last we made the mistake of going on a Thursday, Market Day the Town was taken over, a massive Market, but the usual stuff stalls basically selling the same things, really did not see this lovely little Town at its best,

5. Re: Chioggia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Chioggia