We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiusi area restaurants

Sun Lakes, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Chiusi area restaurants

We will be staying in Chiusi renting a villa, 8 of us.

Can anyone give us suggestions on restaurants and

places we "must see". We will be there for one week,Sept.6-13 and will have cars or can take the train.

Also, I have been told the car rental office closes at 11:30 on Saturday, and does not open until Monday 11:30, can anyone verify if this is correct. We wanted to take the train from Rome, but if something went wrong, we would be at the train station with no way to get to the villa or to get around. We are planning to rent cars in Rome and drive to Chiusi.

Thanks for your advice!

PJ

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiusi area restaurants

I don't suppose you know more precisely whereabouts, which side of Chiusi you'll be staying? Re car also, which company are you hiring from for there are several in town and I know a couple help with pick-up or drop out of hours if you let them know in advance. Please try and do this as I'm sure they'd be accommodating. Worst case scenario, there are always cabs lined up outside the station.

Lots of "must sees" in this area starting with Chiusi old town up on the hill itself. I can't get over how popular this little place has become, there were more tourists here than in Montalcino earlier this week!!! Several good restaurants, one exceptionally good, Il Grillo e Buoncantore, in the square next to Monte Paschi. Etruscan museum and stunning cathedral shouldn't be missed.

Nearby Cetona is a quiet pretty village with stunning views to the mountain of the same name and a very popular place to eat with several good restaurants, Osteria Vecchia (Nilo's), Merlo or if you want a major splurge in a sensational setting, with the Mondo X community up at San Francesco (little way out of town on the Sarteano road). I'm surprised no one else on this board raves about this place. Also good shops in Cetona including top quality cashmere from the lady next to the locanda.

Sarteano has a nice castle and few old streets. It's untouristy and has a couple of good restaurants, Il Merlino opposite the bank and Osteria da Gagliano in the old town.

Obviously Montepulciano is only 20 mins away (depending upon where you are precisely). Going the other way, do visit Castiglione del Lago on Lago di Trasimeno as it's such a beautiful town in a lovely setting on a promontory overlooking this large lake. It's also only a 20 min drive. There's a beach here for bathing/sunning and some excellent fish restaurants in the old town.

Citta della Pieve is also worth a visit as this too is a relatively unspoilt and quite lovely hill town and there are several more in the area heading further south into Umbria.

Back in Tuscany and only 15 minutes up the hill beyond Cetona is San Casciano dei Bagni, an exquisite little hill town also not touristy. Great bread shop here(!), butcher and several good restaurants. The chocolate cake served at the Bar Centrale, is to die for, honestly. As is the view from the terrace on which you eat it!

If you're eating in anytime, the food at the supermarket PAM at Centro Etrusco by the autostrada exit is reliably, including the fish, though you can find better meat elsewhere. Huge market at Chiusi Scalo (the streets opposite the station) every Monday but I personally prefer the smaller one in Chiusi Citta on a Tuesday.

Finally, little Lago di Chiusi is a great place for a picnic and possibly a paddle (signposted on the right as you head towards the A1).

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves, great choice for place to stay.

Sun Lakes, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiusi area restaurants

Cati, Wow, you should be our tour guide! Thanks for the

wonderful information. We are staying at Villa Ercole, I don't

have an address as yet.

Also..what about the town markets, we love to visit these,

and any outlets for leather goods. Since we will have cars, we can drive to several areas. I see on this site that a winery in Montepulciano comes highly recommended. Then I had thought about Assisi and Deruta in the other direction, but not sure

if this is a car or train excursion.

We do plan to eat some meals in, as hiring a cook was so high for 8 people, so thanks for the market advice.

Keep me posted on anything you think might be of interest.

PJ

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiusi area restaurants

Hi,

I highly recommend a day tour to Montepulciano, Pienza and Bagno Vignoni. You can easily view all of them in one day. Starting with Montepulciano, a lot of cantinas offer free wine tasting along the Corso, then you can stop in Pienza for lunch at La Terrazza, amazing view over the Val d'Orcia and great food. Tour Pienza just after lunch when is less crowded and then drive to Bagno Vingoni to relax by the thermal waters and drink a glass of wine before dinner.

On wednesday afternoon you might consider a visit to La Foce garden it is amazing and the area absolutely wonderful.

If you like Etruscan then a visit to Chiusi Città and Sarteano is a must.

Chianciano Terme is not so nice but a visit to Terme Sensoriali could be a good one to relax. We have booked for the end of August a 3 hours package for less than 50 euros.

Enjoy

Meggy

barcelona
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiusi area restaurants

I went to val d'orcia end of may and I suggest you these restaurant where we went:

Sarteano: Osteria da Galiano

Pienza: La Teraza del Chiostro

Montepulciano: La Grotta

Begonia

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiusi area restaurants

Remember that in the period you are going to stay in Italy is full in local holidays. All the places have nice fair and the women are going to cook lots of tipical menù. Check on the local advertisment and enjoy it. I agree for Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, Pienza, Città della Pieve, Montacino take a little longer drive but wine is fantastic. About car rental cmpany the one I prefer is Aesse Rent, that is across the rail staion. You can rent with them all the wee with no hours problem, same for dropping off the car. And they are across the rail station. If you came back on saturday or sunday they usually don't charge you refulling charge if you don't find gas station open and they let you use them privite park (back the office) if you need to catch train to go for visit other cities and you don't want to drive. The web site is www.aesserent.it

6. Re: Chiusi area restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 07:19