We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Rome to Chiusi

Which Chiusi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
10 posts
Save Topic
Train from Rome to Chiusi

Hi

We're a family of 4 (2 kids @ 8yrs and 4yrs) travelling by train from Rome to Chiusi. Have heard varying reports on the merits of different types of trains and classes. Can someone advise us on the best way to do it, considering:

- we would have arrived from Sydney (Aus) the night before with 2 young kids so probably tired.

- will have luggage for 4 weeks holiday

- would like to pre-book seats before travelling and don't mind paying a bit extra for certainty and comfort

Any advice would be huuuuugely appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Rome to Chiusi

Between 11 am and 3 pm there are about 5 trains from Rome to Chiusi. Two of them are IC trains which are faster, more comfortable, and ones on which you can get reserved seats. I have no idea when you're arriving, I just checked from 11 am.

I'd VERY carefully consider the luggage you'll be bringing. If you bring a LOT you will rue the day you ever THOUGHT about bringing that much. Do a little laundry along the way either in a coin laundromat, in your room in the sink, or perhaps your lodging will have a washer and dryer you could use. Pack light, pack light, pack light.

I don't think you'd need to prebook the tickets; we've never had a problem. I doubt very much if that route sells out. On the IC trains you have a reserved seat when you purchase a ticket. I'd just get my tickets as soon as you arrive in Italy.

italybound@verizon.net

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,950 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Rome to Chiusi

Do not, repeat not, have more luggage than you can comfortably handle by yourselves. There will be no-one to help you at the railway stations, and there are usually steep steps up into the train.

It is unlikely you will be able to book in advance, as the Trenitalia web site is renowned for not accepting cards issued outside Europe. Just buy the tickets when you get to Italy.

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Rome to Chiusi

Reserve seats on a IC train, first class if is possible.(Childs have more space to play and is cleaner than the second class)

Take a dolly to carry your bags at the train station and you are going to have a nice, relaxing trip.

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Rome to Chiusi

...funny suggestion:

Like they do normally in Italy, the italians, say that you 4 years child has 3, and he doesn' pay :)))

5. Re: Train from Rome to Chiusi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:19