We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Tuscany area

miami
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 weeks in Tuscany area

Hi we are renting a villa in Citta Della Pieve for 2 weeks in May. We will have a rented car. What are the towns that we must visit ? Any help would be appreciated.

volterra
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany area

you must visit also Volterra.

Ciao and have a nice trip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany area

Welcome to Tripadvisor! Two weeks in a villa at Citta dell Pieve! sounds wonderful!

Everyone has their favorites, and for different reasons. I love wine, and as such love Montalcino and Montepulciano. These are beautiful towns in their own right, and are not far from you.

I also love just exploring the back roads of the Val d'Orcia (since you'll have a car). E.g., virtually any small road between Montalcino and Asciano is pretty beautiful!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=val+d%27orcia

-Karl

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany area

Volterra's a nice town but it's a very long drive from where you are so I would suggest you consider it once you've exhausted all the other options closer to home - of which there are many. Citta (technically in Umbria but on the Tuscan border) is a beautiful town. It was closely aligned to Siena for strategic reasons at one time and I often feel as though I'm in Siena when I wander some of the back streets; architecturally, it's stunning in places with some magnificent palazzo and pretty squares. Set high on a ridge overlooking the southern end of the Val di Chiana there are amazing views across the valley to Monte Cetona. Towns within 30 mins drive that are worth a visit include: Paciano, Panicale, all the "montes" - Monteleone, Montegabbione, Montegiove - these are villages I take my visitors to who want to see "unspoilt medieval towns that few other tourists get to" for that describes them perfectly. Continuing further south from Monteleone d'Orvieto along one of the loveliest roads in Umbria (and there's a lot of competition), stop at Ficulle and wander around the back streets, the town is well known for its terracotta. Continue on as the road gets even lovelier until you come to Orvieto. Another day, go this way to Todi taking the road along the northern side of Lago di Corbara via the fortified town of Prodo. Another fabulous drive and Todi is one of the nicest towns not in Tuscany.

Going in other directions from Citta, you have Chiusi Citta across the valley (the town on the hill not the sprawly bit you drive through to get there). Continuing on along this road you come to an intersection at the A1 where, no matter which way you go, every town you head to should be on every visitors "must-see" list. Shortly before it there's a left to Cetona and San Casciano dei Bagni, highly recommended as a day trip as both villages are in my personal top five of the most beautiful villages in Tuscany, and especially good if you're staying at Citta as you could return via Piazze / Fabro visiting more little known hilltowns and enjoying another lovely drive. Straight ahead at the intersection takes you to Sarteano (another medieval gem), Radicofani and the sensational scenery of the southern end of the Val d'Orcia. Turn right and you're on the well trodden Chiusi / Chianciano / Montepulciano / Pienza / San Quirico road.

In addition, Siena's fairly easy via the A1 at Chiusi getting off at the Val di Chiana. You could take the slow roads across the Val di Chiana itself to the Lago di Trasimeno villages of Castiglione or San Feliciano. You could go across the valley to Cortona and Arezzo. You could drive down to Chiusi leave the car in the free car park and take the train to Florence - the options are endless. Citta makes a great base, enjoy! ps: forgot Assisi, very much worth a visit (as is next door Spello, Montefalco and further down Spoleto)

Edited: 25 March 2013, 05:31
4. Re: 2 weeks in Tuscany area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 05:16