We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Civitavecchia port

Which Civitavecchia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ocoee, Florida
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome to Civitavecchia port

I will need to get from Rome to the port to take a cruise and i have no idea how to get from Rome to the cruise port. I have seen it is cheapest to take a train. Any idea on the cost and how long it takes and how do i get there? After the cruise i may go to Naples to see Pompeii, should i take a train to there also or is it close enough to take a cab? Or should i rent a car for Naples? I am thinking more on renting a car. I will be leaving Rome on the morning of may 6th which is the same day of my cruise which is at 5:30 pm, will i have enough time to get to the port if i take a train? How far is it from Rome to Civitavecchia ? Thanks for any help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,643 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

Rome to Civitavecchia is around 50 miles. There are two or three trains every hour from Rome Termini (the main station) to Civitavecchia for €4.50 per person. The journey takes about an hour.

Rome to Pompeii is 150 miles: way too far for a taxi. A rental car in Naples is a very bad idea. Take a train. The fastest trains take 70 minutes for the journey (much much faster than a car) and cost €44, or there are slower ones for cheaper prices, down to €10.50 for a 2h35 journey. From Naples, there is a suburban train service to Pompeii and Sorrento.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html but it is unlikely you will be able to book through this site, as it seldom accepts cards issued outside Europe. If you have problems, just buy the train tickets in Italy.

For information on the Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento service, see www.vesuviana.it

Ocoee, Florida
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

Thank you so much for the info, it really helps. I have been to Rome a few years ago and we took a train to Venice, it was an experience all in its own.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

Has anyone used a private car or mini bus service to get from Rome to Civitavecchia? We will have a lot of luggage and I am concerned about using the train. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,643 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

There is no mini bus. You can have a car with driver for about €120. A good one is www.romecabs.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out.

Ocoee, Florida
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

i took a train from rome to venice 4 yrs ago and it was ok, our luggage was put in the same car we were in, make sure to take 1st class if you do take the train it is not the same as 1st class in the states but it is better than being in a car with lots of people, 1st class has 6 people i think in each car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,643 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

There are far more than six people in each car of a train: they have rows of seats, with luggage racks overhead and at the ends of the car. You carry your own luggage onto the train.

There is very little difference between first and second class, so first class is not worth the extra money.

Ocoee, Florida
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

it was well worth the $ to us, and i don`t know what train you were on but our car had rooms for 1st class with doors you close so you don`t hear the other people and it only had 6 or 8 seats in it, yes the luggage is in the room with us, and you carry it with you which is a plus if you are concerned with lossing it. I think it is a better idea if you can afford the extra $ to take a www.romecabs.com like suggested above, i checked into it and it cost for 2 people 130 ERO and they pick you up at the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,643 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

The cars with little rooms (or compartments) are now out of service. The cars are now open from end to end, and there is no significant difference between first and second.

Ocoee, Florida
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia port

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, ok, now you are making sense, lol, sorry. I reserved a rome cab to pick us up and take us to the port, just seems sooooo much easier, after all it is a vacation so might as well do the less stressful thing. well worth about $75 a person not to have to worry about getting to the train station etc..thanks for all your helpful words, have a great day, connie

Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia