We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Toronto, Ontario
4 posts
Save Topic
Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

I will be taking a Celebrity cruise on Aug 4th leaving from Civitavecchia. I plan to take the train from the Termini station in Rome because the taxi is relatively expensive.

My question is does anyone know if you have to switch train at Trastevere? I was told that you purchase a ticket to go from Rome to Trastevere and then you need to buy another ticket to go from Trastevere to Civitavecchia. If you need to embark and debark 2 times before you reach the port may be a taxi is not a bad idea.

Thanks in advance!

CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

i think you can get train schedule on line at trenitalia, we just bought at Rome Termini station, they guy asked us around what time we wanted to go, then sold us the tickets.

CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

i think you can print out from trenitalia.com.

Sayreville
2 posts
Save Reply
53. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

I will be on a cruise in October and the ships arrival back in Civitavecchia is 4.00am, is this right? Will I have enough time to get to the airport by train for a 10.40am flight.

Thanks.

CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

We took Celebrity Solstice it arrived to Civitavechia at 4am. When you are on ship, they will give you a form to fill out you flight time and distribute a green tag with number and disembarkation time. You can go to guest relations and change to an earlier time if you dont feel comfortable about the time they give you, thats what we did, changed to half an hour earlier so i dont panic. People were getting off the ship at 5:30 am. Pick up your luggage at no later than 6am (i would do 5:30 or 5:45), take shuttle (our shuttle waited for 20 minutes to fill up, figure that time in too) 5 minutes drive to gate, walk 10-15 minutes to Civitavechia train station, buy ticket to airport. If they have fast train at that time take fast train (only like 4 euro more, so much faster without all the stops), otherwise take slow train. Both have to transfer at Trastevere, then to Fiumichino airport. Airport is very busy, we flew Air France, the line was long and they only had 1 employee for economy class, super super slow. the couple behind us almost missed the flight, we told them to talk to employee their flight time, which was only 40 minutes away, they let them cut right away. if you are cutting too close on time, do the same so you dont miss your flight. Its worth the hassle, we saved so much money on transfer, Celebrity charges $182 for 2 of us. We paid 19 euro for both on slow train, i would do it again. Watch our for pick pocket in the train station and on the train, my husband almost got pick pocketed. they come in two nicely dressed and come to help you for luggage.

San Diego, CA
1 post
Save Reply
55. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Based on the previous comments I will probably bring an old wallet I don't care about, fill it with "Thank You" notes (i.e., "Nice Try Schmuck") and let the kind well dressed people help me store my luggage. Don - San Diego, CA

Sayreville
2 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Thank you, your advice was very helpful.

arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Great idea, I will do the same if you don't mind be copied!

New York
1 post
Save Reply
58. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

In Nov, 2009, I will be touring Rome City, staying at Piazza Venezia, for 3 das.

What/how is the best/cheapest way to get transportation from Venezia hotel to Civitavecchia to board a cruise line, the Grand Princess?

An early reply would be appreciated. Will need all details, also. cost, etc.,

Also, would you know the best, cheapest way to get from the FCO airport to the Venezia Hotel?

If not, who could I e-mail for this info?

Thanks, much.

CA
Level Contributor
71 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Sorry I dont know where Piazza venetia is, but if you can take train to Rome's Termini (Central station), we took fast train from there to Civitavechia port for 8.5 euro in May 2009, slow train is even cheaper. The line for ticket was like 20-30 minutes at Termini, hotel told us to buy the ticket in advance, so we did. Our fast train was to Torino, dont know where that is, Civitavechia was one stop on the way. We really liked the fast train, was 6 passengers in one cabin with big comfortable assigned seats, luggage racks in the cabin so you dont have to worry about them being stolen. The only thing is we took big luggage for the cruise, in Civitavechia you have to carry up/down stairs by hand, no escalator/elevator. I recommend take only one big suitcase plus one carry on which dont need to roll, we had a shoulder strap for carry on, otherwise its kind of hard to hand carry both luggages up and down the stairs.

From FCO they have express train to Rome I think also Termini, we took the shuttle so dont know the detail. trip advisor has destination experts, maybe send them an email and ask them-look for Rome or Italy experts. Good luck on the trains! One more reminder, watch out for pick pockets, my husband was almost pickpocketed ON the train, two young ladies nicely dressed came to help us find seats and load the luggage, the other one picked his wallet. We were lucky he felt it last second and screamed, she backed off.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Mermaid92:

"Best" and "cheapest" are never the same thing.

To get from FCO to your hotel, the cheapest way is to walk. Best is probably a taxi from the sirport, fixed price €40. In between, you could take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini (the main station) for €11 and then taxi to your hotel (under €10).

To get to Civitavecchia, taxi back to Termini, from where there are two local trains each hour to Civitavecchia for €4.50. There are also some faster and more expensive trains like the one described by bobolee55, which go way beyond Civitavecchia to places such as Torino (Turin).