We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Train

Which Civitavecchia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Susanville...
6 posts
Save Topic
Rome Train

We are staying in Rome for three days before a cruise in July. Taking the train to the cruise port is luggage a problem on the train? Also getting into Rome at 11:50pm what is the best way to get to our hotel from the airport?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Train

You'd have done better putting these questions in the Rome forum, where you will also find FAQ on the right-hand side, including at #1 "To and from FCO airport" and #2 "To and from Civitavecchia": tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187791-i22-Rome_L…

As you don't say which airport and which hotel, it is hard to answer exactly, but you can take a taxi for €48 from FCO to anywhere within the Aurelian walls: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c153919/Rome:…

Luggage is always a problem when travelling by train if you have too much of it, and you have to carry it up steps when you arrive at Civitavecchia (photo on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=834997).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Train

You have to carry your own luggage on and off the train, which will involve using a few narrow and steep steps up from the platform to the train. At Civitavecchia, you may have to use stairs down to a passage below the train lines and then up the other side.

Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Train

Just FYI. Stating in mid April, the free shuttle that takes people from their ship to the port exit has changed the drop off location. Now the location is at the north side of the port 1 mile away from the train station. No authority in town has been able to clearly state if this is a temporary or permanent change. All they say is that it will stay this way at least during the restructuring work that is taking place toward the south exit of the port.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Train

Smart Cruise, can you provide a link (in Italian is okay) that announces this change? Thanks in advance.

Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Train

I am in Civitavecchia now. There was no official announcement, just a surprise change. Some mentioning can be found here:

https://translate.google.it/translate…

Edited: 07 May 2014, 21:01
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Train

I found the article but it talks about a proposal, not an actual change.

I tried to post a link to the article but TA won't accept it. The web site is not exactly a trusted news source.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 21:18
Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Train

They are not talking about a proposal, but about the fact that moving the bus terminal from Forte Michelangelo to Porta Tarquinia has brought positive benefits to merchants of Corso Marconi. As I said I am in Civitavecchia now and I can testify that this has been going on for a couple of weeks now. http://www.bignotizie.it/news/

Edited: 07 May 2014, 23:43
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Train

It will be interesting to watch and see how this plays out, if they'll make the change permanent or move it back. I know that there have been complaints from commuters about the crowds on the trains when there are several big cruise ships in port.

Since you're there, can you tell us how the changes look? Something about flower beds and a moat (?) around the forte?

Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Train

I will post pictures is you wish. However as of now there are no appreciative aesthetic changes.

Changing the bus drop off point to Porta Tarquinia temporarily or permanently is something that nobody can clearly predict. The reason being that there are conflicting interests between the port authority and the City. To complicate things, there is the fact that Civitavecchia's Mayor has resigned a few months ago, and the city is now getting ready for new elections. My personal opinion is that no decisions will be taken in the near future, and that the bus drop off point will remain at Porta Tarquinia for at least few months.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 00:58
Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Train

I posted the earlier message with my personal login which I never use. Here it is again

I will post pictures is you wish. However as of now there are no appreciative aesthetic changes.

Changing the bus drop off point to Porta Tarquinia temporarily or permanently is something that nobody can clearly predict. The reason being that there are conflicting interests between the port authority and the City. To complicate things, there is the fact that Civitavecchia's Mayor has resigned a few months ago, and the city is now getting ready for new elections. My personal opinion is that no decisions will be taken in the near future, and that the bus drop off point will remain at Porta Tarquinia for at least few months.

Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia