We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Which Civitavecchia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2 part question:

We're taking the train from Florence to Civitavecchia to catch a cruise ship. The connection time is 22 minutes in Rome Termini, is that enough time to find the platform & connect train for first time travelers like us?

Our ship will leave at 5pm and the train is scheduled to arrive at the Civitavecchia station at 2:20pm. Should that be ample time make it through walking to the port --> shuttle from port to ship --> and lastly the ship's check-in?

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts/answers.

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,627 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

That connection time should be sufficient, but in any case there are 2 or 3 trains every hour from Termini to Civitavecchia.

From Civitavecchia train station to the dock gates is about a 10-minute walk along flat and level sidewalk.

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Do you know if there's a line to wait for the shuttle at the port entrance to the ship? Also, does anyone know approximately how long the shuttle ride to your ship typically takes? We would like to buffer for those times too. I've read somewhere that the line to get on the shuttle bus to your ship could take 30 minutes.

Milan
Level Contributor
541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Which kind of train are you taking from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia; frecciabianca, intercity or regionale?

If your train is a regionale than you will have a long walk to get to platform nr 25 thru 29 where they usually leave from and you may be at risk if you have lot of baggages. No problem with the frecciabianca or the intercity since they leave from a closer platform. Furthermore i do not see any train arriving at Civitavecchia from Rome exactly at 2:20 pm. In Civitavecchia the shuttle time from the port to the ship will only take a few minutes but the waiting time for the shuttle is a bit unpredictable but i would say less than 30 min.

Nibbius

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Generally, if the ship is departing at 5 PM the last check-in time is 90 minutes prior, or 3:30 PM in your case. I would first check with your cruise line to verify this.

Do note the point about type of train in the post above, the walk to the regional train tracks at Termini is the equivalent of three city blocks so you need to step lively. You can see a map of the station here: http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/ Pull up the platform level and look at the top right where you'll see tracks 25-29, then look at where the rest of the track heads are.

Also, it's important to note that at the moment (summer 2014) there is construction work ongoing at the port which has temporary relocated the entrance. Normally the entrance is less than half a mile from the train station; the current (temporary) entrance is nearly one mile from the station just off Via Turco at the northern end of the port.

You can follow the posts on the Italy forum of Cruise Critic to get the latest information on the construction at the port: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Nibbius - We bought the train tickets from italia rail, it does not state which train but my guess is that it's a regionale (instruction said we must print at the station & validate them before boarding). We will take the 14Frecciabianca from Florence to Termini. The connecting train leaves at 13:12 and arrive in Civi at 14:19.

elstravels - thanks for pointing out the cut off time for checking in. I checked with the cruise line & they did say it was 3:30. So essentially I'll be having approx. 1 hr to make it from the train station to the ship, which makes me nervous because perhaps we're cutting it too close?

Ticket we bought is non exchangeable - or refundable. Does anyone have any luck in exchanging the ticket with the train company?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Believe them when they say it is a long and time-consuming walk back to the Platforms for the regionale trains so that you are prepared for that. We did it in October and it seemed to take 6-7 minutes even though we were hurrying.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

The reason folks are questioning the time of your train is because it's one of the weird ones that doesn't run for a few weeks in August, so if you look at today's schedule you won't see it. Regionale train #23652 runs every day expect Sunday between June 15th and August 2nd, and then again between August 25th and December 13th.

According to the Trenitalia schedule, it leaves from track #27 which is one of the remote tracks a three block walk from where your train from Florence will arrive. So, plan to move as quickly as you can.

Be prepared, because if this train comes into the station per usual, it will arrive on track #2 which means climbing down a full flight of stairs and up the other side with your luggage to get out of the station at Civitavecchia. The arrivals schedule for Civitavecchia details this on the Trenitalia site here: https:/…

Edited: 04 August 2014, 21:19
Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

To be on the safe side, we've decided to buy different tickets for an earlier time arriving into Termini. Have to forfeit the other tickets of $87 :'( We just don't want to risk missing the boat with no time buffer for train delays/late arrivals, ect...

The lady rep from italia train told us that we can keep the regionale tickets since they can be used on any regional train, at any time. So that means when we arrive at Termini, we can just print the ticket, validate and board the next regionale train to Civi?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

It's not clear to me how this works Italia Rail, which is an intermediary. If I'm understanding the system you have a code or something that you'll enter into a ticket machine, which will then print out the ticket, right? If so, this should work at any Trenitalia ticket machine and I would not wait until you're at Termini to do this. Print it when you print your Florence to Rome ticket.

To answer your other question yes, with a regional ticket you simply validate it just before getting on the train.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 21:53
Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ship departs at 5pm - train arrives at Civitavecchia at 2:20

Yes, I have a ticket code and need to enter it into the ticket machine to print like you said. Will plan on to printing it while at the Florence station.

It's wonderful to get such helpful tips and info from fellow travelers when you needed it most. Thank you so much everyone - especially elstravels!!

Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia