We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hiking in the Dolomites

Which Cortina d'Ampezzo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Day hiking in the Dolomites

We (3adults) are looking for an nice apartment with a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms in the area of Ortisei, Castelrotto,or Val di Gardena.

We want something centrally located for day hiking in the area for about a week during the end of June to first week in July.

We will probably be flying out of Miami to Venice and will either rent a car or take a train from Venice to that area of the Dolomites. We are not sure about the best way to get to our location. Thank you for your help. carol

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

Depending on connections by train to Ortisei/ Val gardena will involve a train from Venice to Bolzano or Ponte Gardena. The 350 Bus to Ortisei/Val Gardena runs every 30mins from Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck - sometimes it begins in Bolzano but very infrequently

You will need to change trains at Verona. Depending on connections and services journey to Ponte Gardena can take anything from 3h30 to nearly 5hrs

www.trenitalia.com for Italian trains.

Buses

http://www.sii.bz.it/en

www.sad.it

Please note that the Germans/Austrians are responsible for all cross border Intercity services and have a number of services daily from Verona to Austria/Germany stopping at Bolzano & Ponte Gardena. Unfortunately the Italians no longer co-operate with the germans on tickets/schedule information and have recently (childishly) stopped showing any German services on their website.

German trains www.bahn.de

Very important thing that people often fail to check is their return flight times and whether public transports is viable - that may well sway you decision.

Having a car of course will allow you to drive around the Dolomites. There are for instance no easy public transport links between Ortisei and Cortina. You may also want to visit Lago di Alleghe

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

http://www.valgardena.it/en/ for info in the area including accommodation

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

In regard to renting a car. I did do some checking for car rental out of Bolzano and it would be difficult to rent an automatic shift car. There are three of us and only one can drive standard shift (with assurance). Would renting a car from Venice be a better option... more choices and perhaps better prices? Please advise... Renting a car here in the states at least, is more expensive from airport locations.. Is that true in Venice.. if so what would you recommend? Once we arrive in Venice we may just take 3 days and see some of Venice 1st before going up to the Dolomites... Maybe that would give us a chance to acclimate and check things out... I don't know how much of this must be done well in advance. Thanks for your advice again. Carol

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

Generally there is a premium for renting from an Airport or major train station.

Of course in a car you have your own freedom and get to see a lot more of the Dolomites.

If you took the A27 out of Venice you could take a route through the mountains (e.g. over Agordo, Alleghe) to Ortisei. Would take about 3hrs or so.

No idea about car hire with Automatic Gearbox. Have to be special order and no idea what size/group vehicle it would be. Standard small 4 door from Venice Marco Polo would be about 150euros for 3 days (e.g. Holidayautos or Sixt)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

Hi Carol and friends

Carhire: http://www.traveljigsawgroup.com/noflash.html

I have used this booking agency three times (USA, Italy and Sweden). Each time the price, fees and insurance was better than via direct contact with the carhire companies.

About hiking in the Dolomites.

You can plan nice day trips via maps of the Dolomite mountains.

Two mayor map companies produce great precise maps of the area:

http://www.kompass.at/produkte/wanderkarten

www.tabaccoeditrice.com/eng/azienda.asp

Buy the hiking-maps at:

sportler.com/sportlerShop/…karten-literatur

I can recommend literature about the Dolomites from Cicerone Press:

cicerone.co.uk/product/…italy

In general I would recommend hiking trips which are inaccessible by mountain bikes. I do like mountain biking my self but when hiking I appreciate the peace and quietness in the nature not being interrupted by big groups of fast moving mountain bikers. Good treks with the most beautiful and quite nature tend to be those of the beaten route or only accessible be overnighting in the mountain refugios. In general the refugios make great food which always hit a spot after a long day walking the mountain trails.

About your planed destination … Unless you are renting a car or you have got a personal appointment in Val di Gardena I my self would not choose that destination. Not that is not nice. I do not know anything about it. I would just like to spend most hours of my vacation in the mountains. Not in a public train or bus travelling to an isolated sparsely serviced mountain town more than half a day away by public transport. If you are going to Val di Gardena and make a stop in Verona (it is a nice city) I can recommend Bed and Breakfast Villa Beatrice with the wonderful host Simone.

Venice airport being your arrival/departure destination I would take the train north via Trivisio (a very nice town too) to the valley of the town Calalzo di Cardore. From any stop along the valley you can take a bus up a sidevalley to small isolated mountain towns. Compared to Val di Gardena you might get the same atmosphere in these small mountain towns but you save many houses in the public transport. From Calalzo di Cardore you can also take the one hour journey by bus to the hiking/skiing resort Cortina d'Ampezzo.

I hope you can use some of my info.

Kind regards

Stig

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

Stig, Thank you for great info. We plan to rent a car and will check out the car rental agency you mentioned. These are our plans so far.

Arrive Venice (Marco Polo) June 29 and spend 3 nights there at a B& B (called 3C).

Pick up car after leaving Venice (not sure yet. but somewhere close to Marco Polo airport.)

Drive North to the town of Selva in Val Gardena area where we have rented an apartment for the week.. Do day hiking from our base of operation. Thinking about a refugio in Sasso Lungo for one night.

Leave Selva at end of the week and drive to Verona for 2 nights.

Drive back to Venice (only about 65 miles) area return car and stay overnight at Hotel Antony near airport for early departure next morning on July 12.

So there it is. We have the "logistics" in place... no reservations in Verona yet. Will check out B& B Beatrice. Your advice is welcome. Thanks

7. Re: Day hiking in the Dolomites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 00:17