We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

I'm planning a hiking trip through the Dolomites this September with my boyfriend. We're flying in/out of Venice and plan to begin the hike at Lago di Braies, visiting the following rifugio:

Sennes

Fannes

Lagazuoi

Averau

Staulanza

Tissi

Durani

Pramperet

Fontana

La Pissa

I'm wondering if anyone's been to these and have any comments on them. Also I'm wondering how easy is it to get to/from Venice using public transportation -- I've had a hard time finding anything concrete about bus/train schedules.

Thanks!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

On our 2011 trip we stayed at Fanes and Lagazuoi. We didn't stay at Averau, but hiked in that general area. We also visited in September, but the latter part of the month. Some of the rifugios closed earlier than we had anticipated, so depending on when you go, you might want to check with them.

The night we stayed at Fanes it was a little rowdy there (it might have been a weekend, I can't remember off the top of my head). Nothing crazy, but we were trying to get to bed at a decent time since we would be up early hiking the next day. There is another rifugio nearby called Lavarella and in hindsight we thought we should've chosen that place.

Lagazuoi was one of our favorite spots of the trip. Due to the rifugio closures we ended up staying three nights there and it was fantastic. We did two dayhikes from here that were wonderful and we also enjoyed the WWI history in this area. One of our dayhikes was to Nuvolau (we wanted to stay here, but it closed early for lodging. We were still able to have lunch though). Simply beautiful area.

Our pictures and trip notes from that trip are posted here:

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/italy2011

Before we went we had no set itinerary or transportation plans. Turns out we ended our hike in Cortina and it was easy to catch an express bus to Venice. On our trip last year we were in some different parts of the Dolomites and ended up relying on public transportation more than we had anticipated (with the big snow last year we had to modify our original itinerary). Even though we hadn't looked up any schedules ahead of time, we were able to get where we were going (decoding the schedules sometimes took some work, but we always guessed right, lol). It also helped that we carried the Cicerone Press guide books that listed info for the towns near the hikes/rifugios (would tell if a bus went there, but no schedules). While we were there we picked up bus schedules and booklets at tourist offices, hotels, and rifugios.

We love the Dolomites. You will have an awesome trip!

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

If you were to want to hike from hut to hut for 2nights out of Cortina, which would you go to? Also, after stay in Cortina and/or another town to do some day hikes...which town(s) would you recommend? We would have a car. This is after 9/14/14.

Thanks!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

For two nights I would maybe just stay at Lagazuoi for two nights (can do a dayhike, several options). Or would spend one night Lagazuoi and one night Nuvolau (or one of the other huts in that area). Huts start closing down in late September, so you will want to check their dates.

Tre Cime is another area to check out. Several huts in the area and can easily spend two nights here.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

Can you give me a little more information on where Lagazuoi and Nuvolau are located? I have the wonderful Cicerone Guides by Gillian Price, but there are not indexes. Hoping to find a nice rifugio in late August to hike into and then spend 2-3 days hiking around. Will not have a car. Have one hike planned near Dobbiaco, could stay near Sesto or go elsewhere.

Thanks!

5. Re: Dolomites Itinerary: September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:15