We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alta Via 1 trek - 8 days car parking in Cortina

Prague, Czech...
4 posts
Save Topic
Alta Via 1 trek - 8 days car parking in Cortina

Hi,

we plan to take the Alta Via 1 trek from Dobbiaco to Belluno between July 27th and August 3rd this summer (starting off in Dobbiaco on 27. 7. and getting to Belluno on 3. 8.). We have planned for the trek in advance and contacted the huts to make the required accommodation reservations beforehand (it is 4 of us + a dog).

We're planning to arrive to Cortina d'Ampezzo on Saturday Jul 26th, sleep there and travel from Cortina to Dobbiaco on Sunday morning (taking a Cortina Express bus) to start the trek by Lago di Braies. Similarly on the last day, our plan counts with reaching Belluno and then travelling from there back to Cortina (this time actually taking a Dolomitibus to Calalzo, and from Calalzo taking another one to Cortina). We want to leave our car somewhere in Cortina for the time when we will be on the Alta Via.

The question I'd like to ask is where would you recommend us to leave the car in Cortina for those 8 days? I was kind-of reluctant to leave it on an unsecured parking lot for the whole time, so my thinking was to either book for a night on Jul 26th at a hotel somewhere in Cortina and agree with them to have the car left there until next Sunday (however we've emailed a few hotels already and this does not seem to be the easiest option) or camp in one of the campgrounds in Cortina and similarly leave the car inside a campground - but one of the campgrounds already replied back they are fully busy throughout this period (surprised me a bit as we're in the Dolomites 2 years back for a 2 weeks trekking vacation in second half of August, and never have we had a problem with fully booked campings whatsoever...). But I guess this is even more high season...

Please is there any attended (e.g. underground) car parking lot in Cortina? What do you think would be the best option for us?

Many thanks in advance for your advices and hope to meet you in the Dolomites :-)

Petr

Sausalito
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alta Via 1 trek - 8 days car parking in Cortina

Hello Pethr,

We are planning to do something similar next summer and we are wondering where to park the car in Cortina while we are trekking for 10 days. Did you end up finding a good solution? If so, I'd appreciate it if you would please share. Thank you.

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alta Via 1 trek - 8 days car parking in Cortina

Petr, were you able to make your transportation and parking arrangements? i am, too, trekking the Alta via 1 this summer, but only have 4-5 days from June 16th to 21st. Arriving and departing from Venice. I am planning to rent a car in Venice and drive it to somewhere like Belluno, then get a ride to some intermediate starting point along the alta via route, and hike back to the car 4-5 days later. Can you provide any suggestions of sections along the route i would not want to miss? can you suggest a starting and ending point for the number of days i have available to trek? thank you for sharing your experience with me. Dave

3. Re: Alta Via 1 trek - 8 days car parking in Cortina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2016, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Cortina d'Ampezzo