We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

I'll be visiting Ferrara next year in September and I am really keen on seeing the wonderful facade of the Cathedral - any idea if it'll still be under wraps then?

15 replies to this topic
Padua, Italy
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

These works should be completed by the end of next summer

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

Sorry, you are wrong. The news are that the scaffolds probably will be removed in October, but is not sure. The forcast for the complete restoration of the Cathedral is of 10 years of works, so won't be ready before 2027. In the best scenario. :-(

The restoration now in process is a safety one, after the earthquake 5 years ago. Than will start the full "real" restoration. Is not clear when this one will start, but if will be very close to the end of the safety restoration probably wil be kept the scaffolds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

Thank you Turambar!

If I may, can I ask a general question about Ferrara - my main reason for travelling to Ferrara is to wander around its historic centre and soak in the charm, so would I be better off visiting on a Sunday or Monday? In other words, when is the town more alive? I read somewhere that more shops etc. are closed on Monday than Sunday, but I am not sure ...

Edited: 22 December 2017, 14:35
Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

I have answered even in the other tread about the day. The problem of shops is that now each shop is free to decide when stay closed or opened, so there isn't an official rule for all ones. In turistic areas often the shops are opened all days, but I am not sure about Ferrara. Maybe some shops are closed on Sunday, others on Monday.

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

I forgot that there is even a good news: in Ferrara has been opened the National Jews Museum: https://www.meisweb.it/ . It's open since middle of decembre, after years of works and restoration.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

Any latest news on when the scaffolding on the cathedral facade may be removed?

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

At the moment no official news, but seems that the scaffolds will be on the facade longer than forecasted. At the moment the last news are still the ones told in February who talk of October, but other news in April tell that there is a six months delay in the beginning of the works.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

Thanks a ton Turambar!

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
86 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

Turambor, you seem to be an expert on the Ferrara cathedral progress, but the last update was December 2017. I will be in Bologna at the end of October 2018, and would like to make a day trip to Ferrara. As of current knowledge, do you think the scaffolding will come down by then? If not, would it be better if I go to Ravenna to see the Byzantine mosaics? Thank you, Julie

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation

The cathedral in Ferrara is nice but it is not the most beautiful thing there is to see in Ferrara.

google map of Ferrara with sights marked

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit…

other beautiful things to see in Ferrara

Museo Archeologico Nazionale located in a gorgeous old palace with a garden (Palazzo Costabili)

Palazzo Costabili https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

the castle: Castello Estense

Palazzo Schifanoia

Palazzina Marfisa D'Este

Casa Romei

Monastero Corpus Domini (with the tomb of Lucrezia Borgia)

Reply to: Ferrara Cathedral Renovation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted