We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in and out of Ferrara

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
69 reviews
Trains in and out of Ferrara

Hi,

I will be visiting the region in a few months time. I will be taking the train into Ferrara from Bologna and then will be heading to Verona a couple of nights later out from Ferrara station. I was hoping someone might be able to help with a few questions around trains in the area.

Q1. Is there a direct train that goes north straight to Verona from Ferrara, so I dont have to back track to Bologna station?

Q2. Whats the best way to get from Ferrara station to the centre of Ferrara? Is it a feasible walk with luggage?

Q3. How does the ticket system work? Is it just buy on the day? Do I need to validate them etc?

Q4. Is there any user friendly websites in English with timetables etc for these journeys?

Thank you for any help in advance!

17 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,833 posts
7 reviews
11. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

There are ticket machines and you can change the language to English, so you don't need the booking office

I personally would suggest doing Ferrara as a day-trip from Bologna than vice versa. Unless you want to visit all the museums included in the Ferrara card, which does take more than a day, I think with one full day you'd cover it.

The first time I visited ferrara I did it as a day trip from Bologna and walked to the castle. It was a fairly long and not very interesting walk so arriving with luggage (for a 3-night stay) we took a taxi (and as I said bus to the station afterwards).

This last trip (coming from a stay in Venice) we had 3 nights in Ferrara (and visited Ravenna as a day-trip) and then two nights in Bologna, with a trip to Modena. We have stayed Bologna before so with an afternoon and a final morning there we covered a mix of new and familiar sights (Sette Chiese being my favourite, a must to re-visit)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,433 posts
7 reviews
12. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

the lodging in Ferrara was lot cheaper than Bologna. That was what starting me looking at Ferrara before I knew about all the great sights there were to see there.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
786 reviews
13. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

Of course Ferrara can be "covered" in one day as for its highlights, and one can get a good idea of it in one day. Anyway I don't think that staying 3-4 days would come to be useless or boring. Ferrara is not just a set of monuments but also a very interesting city itself, which offers very beautiful options of walking and discovering; in the city centre, both in the Medieval and in the Renaissance quarters; but also on the city walls, or outside the city centre: for instance towards the Po, to soak in a quiet and untouristy atmosphere, and to experience nature and city outskirts as well. Of course, if you like to bike, Ferrara is probably the bike-friendliest city in Italy and hiring one to explore the surroundings would be easy.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
113 reviews
14. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

To answer one of OP's earlier questions, the direct bus from Ferrara to Verona is indeed a long distance coach, therefore no problem to store luggage. Schedules and reservations at www.flixbus.com.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
69 reviews
15. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

Thank you for all you advice. Im going to have to shorten my trip I've just found out. So a day trip it is this time around!

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
67 reviews
16. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

Apologies for hijacking this post but my query is similar. We are planning a week in the area this September and, as we are in the autumn of our lives (!) would prefer to settle in one hotel for the 7 nights and do the other towns by public transport as day trips. We will visit Bologna and possibly Rimini, Ravenna and Modena (and car museums) and are leaning towards staying in Ferrara. We would love to be near a piazza with coffee shops where we can chill and people watch and would not be bored once we've seen the sights. Do you think Ferrara is the place for us? We are used to Spanish plazas with their many outdoor cafes, flower shops and bustle and enjoy soaking up local atmosphere. Thank you very much in advance for any help - this is my first visit to an Italian forum.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
786 reviews
17. Re: Trains in and out of Ferrara

Winchmoren21: I have already answered and I think Ferrara can certainly offer you a pleasant and relaxed week. Only issue, as a base to go around Emilia-Romagna it is basically not the best option; it's up to you, if you prefer to soak in a single city or to turn around. Anyway, if you alternate one day in Ferrara and one day outside for instance, I see no real problems.

Reply to: Trains in and out of Ferrara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ferrara