We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ferrara for us?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
67 reviews
71 helpful votes
Is Ferrara for us?

We are planning a week in the Emilia-Romagna area this September and, as we are in the autumn of our lives (!) would prefer to settle in one hotel for the 7 nights and do the other towns by public transport as day trips. We will visit Bologna and possibly Rimini, Ravenna and Modena (and car museums) and are leaning towards staying in Ferrara. We would love to find a place with piazzas with coffee shops where we can chill and people watch and would not be bored once we've seen the sights. Do you think Ferrara is the place for us? We are used to Spanish plazas with their many outdoor cafes, flower shops and bustle and enjoy soaking up local atmosphere. Thank you very much in advance for any help - this is my first visit to an Italian forum.

51 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
977 posts
546 reviews
289 helpful votes
41. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

Lupaling,

I was just looking at your Facebook pics of Ferrara. Tks for sharing.

Dublin, Ireland
12 posts
42. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

that's the spirit!! do not be put off by the fact that, like in an city, there are areas that should ideally be avoided!

well if the train station does not put you off, it might the possibility to walk the magic and esoteric tour of the city.... right in the center, but you need to know where to look (San Domenico church, where is imprinted the kick of the devil, the Chiozzino alley, where the esoteric magician (Ghiozzino) was living and practicing his arts, all the old Jewish ghetto, and the Jewish cemetery, a magical place whithin the city walls that look like the countryside. and again, all the quiet medioeval street until the curch of Santa Maria in Vado, were 1000 years ago the sacramental bread released blood, which still conserved in there. and not far, Sant' Antonio in Polesine, where the segregated nous might give you water that spring out from a wall... and at last, a visit to the castle doungeons, which are actually under water. Is there that were, Parisina, the wife of the marquise of Ferrara Niccolo III, and his lover Ugo (which was one of the illegitimate son of Niccolo) were imprisoned for being lovers, and later behaded. and those dungeons, well... a grim place indeed....

and many other stories and hided simbols all over the place. but you need to know where to look. as we know, the city of Ferrara is wihitn his walls, and whitin is walls, nothing ever changes. in 500 Ferrara will still be Ferrara. still and unchanged, as was 500 years ago

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,622 posts
43. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

Without knowledge or details of your (unfortunate) incident, it's impossible to comment.

Pick pocketing is common throughout Italy, not typically harmful, and violent crime is rare.

A park isn't Catania's bus station.

Please present facts accurately so others can then decide for themselves what's best for their holidays.

Certainly no victim would be blamed for a crime.

You're no stranger to the Sicily forums.

You know that the Sicily forums always warn about pick pocketing, always warn to leave jewelry at home, and also link to (individual) National guidelines about crime and safety.

Catania is lower on crime stats than Milan, Rome, and Turin.

You knew about wearing jewelry.

If not pressed harder here, you would have left that comment about Catania unchecked.

That's a disservice to your fellow travellers.

Pick pocketing is an issue in Catania, but it's not violent.

Really pick pocketing is an issue throughout Italy, and even Europe.

Crime in Chicago is violent.

Even if crime in Chicago only occurs in pockets of the city, it's violent crime.

Pity for city residents in those areas.

I'm sorry you were targeted.

But I'm also sorry you so erroneously presented that comment about Catania.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,622 posts
44. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

Of course stats don't matter if you are a victim of crime, but perhaps of interest. for travel in Italy.

infodata.ilsole24ore.com/2016/10/03/18162/

Vagabonda

45. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2018, 02:05
Edited: 24 May 2018, 02:05

46. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2018, 02:05

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,622 posts
47. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

The information about Catania's bus station was misrepresented.

And Catania isn't unsafe.

Vagabonda

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
977 posts
546 reviews
289 helpful votes
48. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine.

Nipomo, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
49. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

Regarding the train station: across the street from the station are a lot people who hang out and congregate. They are probably more interested in talking with each other than bothering you. I understand what they’re referring to though. I know people who live in Ferrara and they explained to me that these people tend to cause some trouble. But, I did notice police nearby and my host was not afraid to be standing in close proximity while her husband got the car. Probably best to take a cab into the center of the city or ride a bike into the center. It’s all flat so it’s a very easy and pleasant ride.

Edited: 08 November 2018, 09:27
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,622 posts
50. Re: Is Ferrara for us?

Are you referencing the train station in Ferrara or Catania?

Vagabonda

Reply to: Is Ferrara for us?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ferrara