We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garda trips / tours

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Garda trips / tours

Hi Folks

Help required. My wife and I are going to Garda on 7th August and staying in the Hotel Sole e Neno. If you were to suggest one or two of the best trips to be taken from Garda then which you would say were your favourites ?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garda trips / tours

Hi, for a start you can walk to Bardolino, about 45/50 mins on the lakeside path, you could return by foot, by boat or by bus. If you want to extend the walk even further, the path goes all the way to Lazise. The ferry service is very good from Garda, especially to the southern towns, and is the easiest way to reach Sirmione. Sirmione is very busy at any time but in August will be even more so, but it is well worth the effort with its quaint narrow streets, the castle and the Roman ruins. A long trip to the north and Malcesine for a ride to the top of Monte Bald on the revolving cable car is another must-do, but try to make sure you pick a clear day to get the best views.

From Garda you can reach Verona easily by bus, just over an hour's ride, but again the buses will be very busy so you will have to be patient.

The choices are endless but it really depends on what sort of things you like to do.

www.lagodigardamagazine.com/gardalake.aspx

This is a good website might give you some other ideas.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garda trips / tours

Hi, I agree with tepore's suggestions, there are lots of things to see and do using the buses and boats around the lake.

If you are going on a package, and wondering about the organised excursions arranged with your holiday rep, then I'd have to say that my favourite is the trip to the Dolomites. The scenery is spectacular and the trip takes you through what was once part of Austria.

I wouldn't recommend the organised excursion to Verona - from Garda it is only a half day trip which is nowhere near long enough to see what Verona has to offer. It is easy, and a lot cheaper, to use the local bus. The exception for trips to Verona is the outing to the Opera in the Arena. It is much easier to do that with an excursion and is an amazing experience whether or not you are an opera fan.

lancs
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garda trips / tours

Yes ..the sole is very convenient for evrything.bus sattion etc 10 mins away.

i usually suggest the lake tour, ..alhough maybe a bit pricey (what isnt these days) it at least takes you all round the lake and your out all day,back in time for dinner..Give you a feel for the place..where you might wnat to go back to.& someone teling you what your looking at.

Malcesine is maybe an hour on the us ..you can get the cable car to the top of monte baldo BUT specially at that time of year GO EARLY....leave garda no later than 9 am i would think....

if you go on the ferries you need to plan your day..they dont run late.

Dont try to see everything..you wont do.! Youll just go back needing a holiday lol..and you need an excuse to go back,! Not that i do...

you wont be bored!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garda trips / tours

The tour of the lake going north to Riva is worth doing -- Riva is nice town, it retains an Austrian flavour. This trip takes all day. For this trip it may be a good idea to ask your hotel for a pack lunch as the boat trip is quite long and you will need to snack.

Most hotels will do a fantastic pack lunch and let you substitute it for the evening meal. Riva has excellent restaurants but it is better to go into town rather than use the ones closest to the ferry jetty.

In the south beautiful historic Sirmione is worth the ferry trip ---- but remember it gets very busy with day trippers.

In the west at Gardone, The Vittoriale di Gabriele D'Annunzio is well worth a day trip, it is not well publicised but lies on the hill to the north west of Gardone just above and west of the well sign posted Botanic Gardens. It is much quicker to use the hydrofoil rather than conventional ferry for at least the outbound leg of this trip. Although there are very nice snack restraunts adjacent to the gates of of the Vittoriale I would recommend you take water with you for this trip as it can be a very hot walk up the path.

Charming Lazise is also worth a ferry trip and the walkway between Garda & Bardolino has already been mentioned. You can also walk further to the Cisano marina, passing through a boatyard with gorgeous Riva wooden speed boats. Keen walkers can actually walk from Garda to Lazise but it is a long walk.

Blantyre
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garda trips / tours

To add you may wish to set one morning aside for the lake side market, istr it is in Bardoliono on Thursdays and Garda on Fridays. It appears in the early morning and breaks camp immediately after lunch. Don't expect real bargains often the resort shops are cheaper but is a pleasant way to pass a morning and a good place to pick up small gifts.

In the market crowds beware pick-pockets and bag snatchers, not that common but I have heard of incidents.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garda trips / tours

Just to clarify for the benefit of the OP; the "lake tour" that John60Lancs referred to is an organised excursion that takes you all round the lake - mostly by coach but partly by boat - and this year it costs 41 euros per person. It leaves Garda at 8.30am and the return time is approx 6.30pm. There are usually three or four stops, and there is plenty time to have morning coffee in one of the towns and also lunch in another. As John60Lancs said, it will give you a chance to see other places which you could then decide to return to by yourselves later in the week.

The Lake Tour is not to be confused with what Junkcatcher calls " the tour of the lake", by which I think he means travelling from Garda to Riva and back again using the boat service. It takes two and a half hours each way on the slow boat or just over two hours on the fast boat. You can take a packed lunch but the slow boats on this route have restaurants.

(By the way, two junkcatchers?? Very confusing! :) )

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garda trips / tours

Thanks folks I appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post, I now have plenty to choose from. Leaving on Saturday 7th August and so looking forward to it.

Cheers

Dougie

Sorry it took so long to reply, I only got notified of your replies today by TA.

8. Re: Garda trips / tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Garda
Recent Conversations