We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Topic
Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Looking to book a four night short break to Lake Garda but cannot decide between the above hotels, I like the look of both but ...

Is the pool very small at the Imperial?

I know La Perla has a large pool but I am not sure I want to share a table at meal times which puts me off this hotel slightly.

Both hotels are half board but we will probably eat out most evenings, would this cause any offence do you think?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Hi, I have stayed at the La Perla but not at the Imperial so can't give a personal comparison.

However, the pool at the La Perla is huge so I'm sure anything would look small in comparison! The pool has lovely views to La Rocca but the pool area is reached by an underpass - not as bad as it sounds - whereas the pool at the Imperial is right outside the hotel.

At the La Perla it seems to be the norm to share a table, but I have seen one or two couples objecting to having to share and they have been given private tables. It may depend on how busy the hotel is.

If you have a preference for smaller hotels bear in mind that the La Perla is a large hotel - 148 rooms - compared with the Imperial which only has 51.

I don't think it will be a problem if you choose not to eat in the hotel in the evenings as long as you explain when you arrive that you would like to eat out. If you were to have one evening meal in your hotel then didn't appear again without saying anything then they may think there's a problem with the food! Speaking of which, the food in the La Perla is very good.

Here are the hotel reviews for comparison:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194771-d3141…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194771-d3141…

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Thanks for this, its really helpful, I am swaying towards booking the Imperial, we would probably eat there on the first night then eat out for the other 3, I have seen an offer with Thomsons holidays and there is no option for b&b only half board which I wouldn't normally choose

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Hi, I can understand you wanting to try some of the Garda restaurants. If you get a good deal on your short break then there's no reason to eat in the hotel every night.

I don't know what the routine is for the Imperial but generally you will be asked to make your dinner choices from a menu given to you at breakfast. If you just say that you won't be there for dinner that evening then there won't be a problem.

If you need any other information about Garda in particular or the lake in general please just ask.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Thanks Scozzese, I think I will book the Imperial and eat out, the deal is very good for half board so don't mind just having the breakfast and eating out in the evening.

We will be there for four nights, and quite fancy doing a one day trip somewhere to say Venice, could we book this in the town somewhere, I know Thomsons are notorious for over charging for tours :)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Hi again, when will you be going? The organised excursion to Venice is expensive regardless of who you book with but, depending when you are going or which days of the week, you can get to Venice by bus.

…verona.it/flex/…134

The bus is only three days a week - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays - until the 3rd of October and it has to be booked ahead of time (by at least the day before). It starts in Riva at the north of the lake and calls in to Garda around 7.55 and gets to Venice at 10.30. The return journey is at 17.15 arriving back in Garda at 19.45. It's €30pp round-trip compared with the €68 for the organised excursion (€71 for Venice by Night):

www.europlan.it/en/62/ourproposal/venice.php

europlan.it/en/…venice-by-night.php

For travelling to other towns on the lake, this is the timetable for the boats:

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

And the fares chart:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/…202013.pdf

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

Brilliant, thank you

7. Re: Which Hotel - Imperial or La Perla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:18