We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay at Lake Garda

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay at Lake Garda

My husband and I are attending a wedding on 1st August at Villa Bartolomea near Verona and want to stay at Lake Garda for two weeks from 2nd August. We would like to be able to transfer by train and it looks as if Pescheira might be the answer,but it may be too noisy and busy with camp sites and gardaland nearby. We just want a quiet peaceful hotel with lake views and easy access to the Lake ferries. I find a lot of walking difficult. Can anyone help us to choose? We would also like to travel back to UK by train-just to make our Golden Wedding complete.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay at Lake Garda

Hi, it might be worth looking at Bardolino or Garda, both just a short bus or taxi ride from Peschiera del Garda station. Both towns have nice flat lakeside promenades and good bus and ferry services. August is the busiest month at the Lake so hotels are likely to be quite busy.

We have stayed a couple of times at the Bellevue Hotel in Bardolino. It is right on the lakeside but just away from the centre which is only a 10 minute flat stroll along the promenade. The hotel is part of the Du Lac & Bellevue and is in a separate building with rooms overlooking the lake. Its a very quiet hotel as apart from the bedrooms there is only the breakfast room on the ground floor, all other services, the pool, bar and restaurant for evening meals, are in Du Lac which is more or less next door.

On the website photos, the Bellevue is the new looking building with the yellow sun shades.

Level Contributor
6,189 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay at Lake Garda

Please nota that it won't be quiet anywhere in Italy in August, it's the peak of the high season and prices will be high.

I suggest you maybe to spend one week in Bardolino and one week in Riva del Garda on the north shore.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay at Lake Garda

Hi, August is the most popular time at Lake Garda so it will be busy wherever you go. If you want to be in a town with a train station then you could consider Desenzano. Like Peschiera, it's also at the south of the lake but doesn't have as many campsites and isn't near Gardaland. However, it's the largest town on the lake.

I think the smaller towns of Garda, Bardolino and Lazise would be worth thinking about. They are at the south-east of the lake and are all within a short bus ride of Peschiera for getting to the train station. The bus also links the east side of the lake with Verona.

Garda and Bardolino both have a frequent boat service to other towns around the lake - Lazise slightly less so - but all three are pretty towns with a good atmosphere with plenty restaurants, cafes and shops.

Without knowing your budget for accommodation it isn't easy to suggest hotels but you could have a look at the reviews her on TA:

4. Re: where to stay at Lake Garda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Garda
Recent Conversations