We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Lake Garda via train

Which Gardone Riviera hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
EHT, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Lake Garda via train

We will be traveling via train from Venice to Lake Garda in July. Where should we stay if we don't have a car? We would like to stay right on the lake with access to a restaurant. We're only staying for one or two nights. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

I would suggest either Varenna or Bellagio. Both are quite small. Varenna is about halfway up the east shore. Bellagio is better-known, very pretty, on the tip of the land that divides the two southern halves of the lake.

There are trains to Varenna, and from there you can get fairly frequent ferries to Bellagio.

Train times: www.trenitalia.com

Ferry times: www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html

EHT, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

Thanks for the info, but I think they are on Lake Como, which is too far north for our itinerary. We have limited time in Italy, as we have to be in Paris at the end of July for a meeting.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

Hi, the only two towns with stations on Lake Garda are Desenzano and Peschiera. Desenzano is on the west side of the lake and as you are only going to be there for two days without transport probably not the best solution. Peschiera is a lovely town with a real 'Italian' feel about, but you could also consider Lasize, Bardolino or Garda just a little further up the lake. They are all easily accessible from Peschiera rail station by bus, the furthest, Garda, about 30 mins away. It is also possible to walk along the lakeside path between all three towns. Both Bardolino and Garda have quite a few hotels on the lakeside, and have numerous restaurants. B

EHT, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

Hi, That's just the info. I needed. Thanks very much.

Kathleen

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

Varenna and Bellagio are on Lake Como not Lake Garda. There are frequent trains from Venice Santa Lucia and Mestre stations to Peschiera and Desenzano at the southern end of Lake Garda. Unfortunately there are no trains up the western coast of the lake. See www.trenitalia.it for timetables.

You can take local buses round the shore roads or use the lake ferries. For their timetables se www.navigazionelaghi.it

This would leave you a choice of almost anywhere on Lake Garda.

Siziano, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

Hi Kathleen,

Looking at your plan, I think that Peschiera del Garda is the best solution. It has an important train station (many trains stop there), it is right on the lake and it is a lovely small city.

I hope you will enjoy your trip to Italy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

Apologies for my brain storm, confusing Lake Como with Lake Garda.

8. Re: Venice to Lake Garda via train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Gardone Riviera
Recent Conversations