We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best part of Lake Garda to visit? And how to get there?

Which Gardone Riviera hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Benfleet, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Best part of Lake Garda to visit? And how to get there?

Hello,

I'm taking my boyfriend away for 9 nights. We're staying in Dolo, between Venice and Padua.

He's a huge fishing fan and absolutely loves lakes (not just to fish...but to visit too!), so I thought a day trip to Lake Garda would be perfect.

I know it will take about 2 hours each way from Padua.

Anyway, which is the best part to visit? The most 'prettiest' town. Also, if possible, the best area suited to swimming in.

Finally, any help on how to get there?

I gather I'll have to travel from Dolo to Padua, and then from Padua to one of two train stations at Lake Garda (is this correct?).

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best part of Lake Garda to visit? And how to get there?

Hi, when are you travelling to Italy? Some of the prettiest towns, e.g. Sirmione, are extremely busy in the summer months which could detract from the visit if you are only there for one day.

The two towns on the lake with train stations are Peschiera (for the east side) and Desenzano (for the west side).

For a day trip it's probably better to stay in the southern half of the lake. The north is more mountainous and considered to be more scenic, but there are still some very pretty places in the southern half.

If you arrive at Peschiera station you could walk to the lakefront (10 minutes) and take a boat to one of the nearby towns - Lazise, Bardolino or Garda. There's a lake path linking all three towns. From Lazise to Bardolino will take about an hour, and from Bardolino to Garda is about 45 minutes. So, for example, you could take a boat from Peschiera to Bardolino, walk to Garda then take another boat back to Peschiera. This is the current timetable:

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

And the fares:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/…202013.pdf

This may be of interest:

lagodigardamagazine.com/lake-garda-fish.aspx

If your boyfriend is planning to do some fishing he will need a permit.

2. Re: Best part of Lake Garda to visit? And how to get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Gardone Riviera
Recent Conversations