We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

MY friend and I are joining a tour which starts from Giardini Naxos end of July. The tour will be staying at Sant Alphio Garden in Giadini Naxos. We are arriving one day early and have the following questions:-

1. What choices of transportation are available from Catania to Giardini Naxos? Is it easy to take a taxi and how much will it cost? How long does it take to travel by taxi from Catania airport to Giardini Naxos.

2. Are there any 4 or 5 star hotels near Sant Alphio Garden? Thinking of staying one night in a nearby hotel and then transfer to Sant Alphio Garden to join the tour group the next day.

3. Any suggestion of nearby sights to see for one day?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Welcome to Sicily mosto!

You could take the train or Interbus from Catania to Giardini, but note that this hotel is really located in Recanati, so the bus to Recanati would be more convenient. Enter "Recanati" on the Interbus website, not Giardini.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

www.interbus.it/home/ricercaorari2.aspx

There’s also direct Interbus service from Catania’s airport.

A taxi would be expensive – Prearrange a private transfer….

transport from Catania airport to Taormina

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3674…

Staying at the Sant Alphio Garden would be the most convenient, although you could drop off your luggage prior to check-in.

Tha Giardini Tourist Information lists all hotels and rating – Click on the list and enlarge.

www.strgiardini.it/_/en/lista-hotels.html

You might consider a night in nearby and very beautiful Taormina – Taormina has many 5-star hotels!

casaleonardi.dyndns.org/accommodation_en.htm

Consider spending the extra day doing something you wouldn’t do with the tour – Possibly a boat ride around Taormina Bay or a trek up to Castelmola.

Taormina Weather:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k2021…

Mazzaro Boat Trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4415…

Walking from Castelmola to Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g945966-i14060-k44…

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Thanks, Vagabonda. When the interbus stops at Recanati station, is it walking distance to Sant Alphio Garden? If not, what's the best way to get from the station to Sant Alphio Garden?

How do we buy the interbus tickets? Is it ok to buy on arrival? I suppose the interbus station at Catania airport is just outside the airport?

Thanks again.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,959 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Prego mosto,

Yes, the bus stop in Recanatin is an easy 10-minute walk to the Sant Alphio Garden.

Buy your Interbus tickets on arrival at the airport. When you exit Arrivals, turn right and walk, and you’ll see the buses and kiosk.

…catania.it/upload/users/file/mappa_aeroport…

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Hi Vagabonda, still some questions.

1. On the interbus routes from Catania to Recanati, I clicked into the link to check interbus times and noted that they only allow me to check today's times and not July's. I wonder whether the bus times are the same. Am thinking of a connecting flight which arrives at Catania airport at around 4.30 om and noted the next bus is at 6 pm and last bus at 8 pm. Would you know whether the schedule will be the same for end July?

2. For return flight from Catania to Milan, what time must I be at the Catania airport if my flight leaves at 9.40 am with luggage to check in?

Thanks a lot!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,959 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Ciao mosto,

What day of the week will you require the Interbus service at the end of July?

It’s always best to check with your airline for arrival time prior to a flight. Generally an hour is adequate for domestic flights, but Catania’s airport recommends 1,5-hours.

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Hi Vagabonda,

The current plan now is to arrive on Friday late afternoon. Do you know how I can find the interbus time schedule for Fridays?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,959 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Hi mosto,

I checked directly with Interbus - You only have one possibility, the bus that departs the airport at 19.45.

www.interbus.it/home/ricercaorari2.aspx

The train wouldn’t be very convenient – You would take the Alibus from the airport to Catania, the train from Catania to Giardini, and a taxi to the airport. Trains departs Catania at 17.41, 18.30, and 19.40.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

You might consider a private transfer.

sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/sicily_tou…

Vagabonda

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Thanks, Vagabonda. There's too many details to consider in taking bus/trains. I think private transfer is something I will consider. Thanks so much.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,959 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Prego mosto,

A private transfer certainly is the most convenient - It's hard to beat door to door service!

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Hi,

We are travelling to Giardini Naxos in 2 weeks with 3 kids (10 year old, 8 year old and a 3 year old). Can anyone recommend things to do there (or nearby) for that type of age? Also, what type of transportation would be best from Catania airport - private tranfer?

Many thanks