We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in/around Giulianova

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in/around Giulianova

Hello,

We are a family with two teens, 15 and 16 years, who are going to Giulianova in July.

Any ideas for what to do/ see? We love sightseeing, nice small villages. Depending on what to do, we might rent a car. But we also want to do some fun for the teens.

Any ideas for shopping (clothes)?

We do love the italian markets. Is there a market in Giulianova? Where and when?

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
385 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

To get the best out of your trip and Abruzzo, car hire will be essential. Giulianova Lido is a seaside resort, but away from the coast you will find plenty of small towns and villages to visit. Tortoreto Alta is very picturesque, as is Montepagano a little further south near Roseto degli Abruzzi. Further inland the fortress town of Civitella del Tronto is well worth a visit. It is perched high above the town and contains a military museum. The town below also claims to have the narrowest street in thw whole of Italy too! Not far from Civitella is Campli, another nice town with an abundance of churches, with one containing the sacred staircase, where people still climb the stairs on their knees to have their sins absolved when they reach the top.

A great day out with the car would be to visit Pietracamela, Prati di Tivo and to take the cable car to the very foot of Corno Grande, the highest peak in the Appenino at almost 3,000 metres.

For shopping, the Gran Sasso Shopping Centre is a modern mall not too far away on the way to Teramo. There is also a market in Giulianova on Saturdays held in Piazza dalla Chiesa. Further afield and in the next region of Le Marche there is an area around Civitanova Marche that has many factory outlet stores for shoes and clothes, selling designer goods at very good discounts. Prada, Tod's and Gioxx to name but a few.

There is a great water park not far from Giulianova called Acquapark Onda Blu, but looking at their website it may have closed. We tried calling their number this afternoon and the line was unobtainable. It would be a real shame, as your teenagers would enjoy it very much. Water flumes, tunnels, big slides, pools - all a lot of fun on a hot day. If we find out what has happened, we will post again.

Have a fantastic holiday in the Teramo province of Abruzzo!

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

Thank you for your replay :) We will look into all the mentioned places :)

What about Teramo, is this an interesting town?

How is it to go from Giulianova to Teramo and Gran Sasso Shopping Centre with public transportation? And how far away is it?

What is the best way to go from Pescara Airport to Giulianova Lido? Our plane will arrive around 13.00 on a tuesday

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
385 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

Teramo has a long history dating back to pre-Roman times. Museums, a lovely duomo, very old churches ,remains of a roman ampiteatro and city wall, as well as lots of shops and restaurants.

The GS shopping centre is about 15-20 minutes by car from Giulianova Lido, but I've never seen any buses arrive there, but perhaps because I wasn't looking.

Using public transport from the airport, you would need to take a bus to Pescara Centrale rail station and then take a train to Giulianova. The trains run around every 30 minutes at a cost of €7 perperson 1 way.

Hope this helps.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

Hi FunItaly. Hope you're looking forward to your holiday in Giulianova! We are working here for 6 months and absolutely love the area (and we know much of Italy quite well). Further to GrandeQuercia's comprehensive reply to you, we visited Onda Blu (the waterpark) yesterday for news of opening and to collect some brochures. They will be ready sometime between the 20th-29th June!!! Watch this space!!

It sounds as if you'd like to get out and about whilst staying here - perhaps one day a beach day, the next an explore day - so if I may be so bold, I would suggest renting a car for the whole duration of your stay. It not only means an easy journey to and from the airport, it would allow you to access the many old villages and perhaps go further afield into Marche - in particular Ascoli Piceno, Offida and Loreto, a short drive away.

I obtained a list of market days from Tourist Information for my own use but haven't been able to access a web version sadly - perhaps GrandeQuercia can help there? The saturday morning market in Giulianova Alta (the old town) is very small, but Giulianova Lido has a huge one on thursdays.

It's also worth buying the Bradt guide to Abruzzo - the only comprehensive book of the region that I know of - and full of great information.

Enjoy!

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
385 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

That's really good news about Acquapark Onda Blu - thanks for the up-date Jules!

Hmmm... markets. Not my favourite pastime, as often they don't live up to the expectation of colourful stalls with even more colourful characters selling fruit and vegetables, cheeses, salami, cured meats and other specialities. More often than not, they are selling clothes, shoes, haberdashery and kitchenware, with only a few food stalls.

The market in Campli on Sunday mornings is one of the better ones and there is a fish market in Roseto degli Abruzzi held early every morning, except Sundays and Mondays. A bit further afield in Ascoli Piceno a large antiques market is held on the 3rd Sunday of every month. The one in July should be on the 17th. It is really interesting, in a great setting and also has many other types of stalls selling all sorts of local produce. Local artisans make a variety of craft (embroidery,lace, glass, wood, jewellery etc) on the street, which is fascinating to watch. http://www.mercatinoascolipiceno.it/

Whilst not wishing to contradict Jules, whilst the Bradt guide is good, it does have a heavy bias towards Pescara and Chieti in the south. A really good website that provides oodles of information on interesting places to see, eat and enjoy, is www.lifeinabruzzo.com

Have fun!

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

Thank you both for the wonderful info. We are really looking forward to our vacation. Haven't quit decided if we will rent a car or not, so we still have a bit planning to do :)

Woodbury, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

Hello,

I read with interest your information about Giulianova. My husband believes his father's family immigrated to the us from there in the early 1900's. I would like to send for some souviener items like key chains, bookmarks, etc that has the Giulianova name on them so that i could give them to my children as a reminder of their heritage. Do you know of any shops or outlets where I could purchase something of the sort?

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
385 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

Being the early 1900's, it is likely that your husbands family came from the old town, known as Giulianova Paese (or Alta), as Giulianova Lido is the more recent coastal development to cater more for holidaymakers. There are plenty of souvenirs to be found in and around the Lido, although they are probably going to be typically tacky as most holiday souvenirs are and probably made in China! More traditional wares from the area will be found in the old town, but buying any of this online to send to the USA could be difficult, although you mentioned in another post that you had been planning a trip to Italy, so if you are coming you can have a good look around. This post from an online forum is very useful. italymag.co.uk/italy-featured/giulianova/spo…

This link to a local producer of ceramics might interest you too: if you wish, we could contact them for you to see if they ship to the USA. http://www.cooperativapoc.it/

If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to get in touch.

Buona fortuna!

9. Re: What to do in/around Giulianova

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Giulianova
More Giulianova Topics