We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Lipari

Kent
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Lipari

We will be in Lipari on a small cruise ship in July.

Would be very grateful for recommendations of restaurants for a reasonably priced lunch of good local food.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Gilberto e Vera
£, Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Rosticceria Mancia e fui
£, Italian, Fast food, Mediterranean
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,996 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Without a doubt - Filippino!! Located in the historic centre with dining rooms and a terrace, and typical Sicilian fare.

Filippino:

http://www.filippino.it/new/ita/

frommers.com/destinations/lipari/D52324.html

emmeti.it/Welcome/…index.uk.html

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Filippino
Ristorante Filippino
1,376 Reviews
Lipari, Italy
london
Level Contributor
222 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

At the other end of the price scale (I think Il Filippino is very expensive - it certainly looked it / all the guidebooks say it is / no prices on the menu etc) try La Cambusa (Via Garibaldi) - more like a cafe, very cheap, friendly, fantastic swordfish involtini. We went there twice in our 5 days on Lipari. Al Pescatore at the Marina Corta was also good. I got food poisoning from the Kasbah though - I probably got that one bad mussel, but I wouldn't rush back. There was a place on the Vittorio Emanuele that was a kind of wine bar where you could get a plate of cured ham / cheese and a similar place on the Via Garibaldi near the Marina Corta, but I can't remember the name of either. If that's your thing I'm sure Vagabonda will know the names.

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Filippino
Ristorante Filippino
1,376 Reviews
Lipari, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,996 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Ristorante Filippino is not excessively expensive - first and second plates are around 10 euros each and for lunch, certainly one would do - a good value for what you get. Frommers actually lists main courses as ranging from 6€-10€, but I think you should expect to pay around 10€.

Here is a comprehensive listing of all the restaurants and bars on Lipari:

aasteolie.191.it/_Lipari/Ristoranti_LIPARI.h…

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Filippino
Ristorante Filippino
1,376 Reviews
Lipari, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Although I didn't eat at Filippino (I was staying a bit out of town at Villa Diana and wanted a restaurant closer to the hotel), I did stop by to look at the menu. The prices actually seemed lower than most of the other places in town, and I found Lipari to have the most expensive restaurants of any of the places I stayed in Sicily.

I did end up eating a couple dinners at a really nice pizzeria/snack bar/restaurant just down the hill from Villa Diana - I never did get the name, but it was very close to the intersection of Via Marconi (I think) and the main road that winds out of town up the hill. It didn't look like much from the front, but the back room has great views overlooking some ancient Roman tombs.

I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be a memorable place - prices were very reasonable, and the food was surprisingly excellent - especially the eggplant and zucchini rollups (involtini?). The coconut ice cream was also great.

What I remember most was my ordering a glass of Malavasia, a local dessert wine. As soon as I tasted it, my first thought was "uh, oh; this is gonna be really expensive." When the bill came it wasn't included - turned out to be compliments of the house. A bottle of Malavasia at the airport duty free shop ran about 35 euros, so my first inclination wasn't all that far off. If you're a wine drinker, be sure to try it.

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Filippino
Ristorante Filippino
1,376 Reviews
Lipari, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Villa Diana
Villa Diana
64 Reviews
Lipari, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,996 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Nice zakrosian! Malavasia delle Lipari is delicious!!!!!

Lipari's Old Town is an intriguing maze of alleys. I have actually had my best cannolo ever in Lipari. I watched as the woman filled the shell and I knew - heaven!!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
london
Level Contributor
222 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Given Vagabonda's comment it seems Il Fillipino is cheaper than the guidebooks would have you beleive - will have to hope for a return visit to Lipari to give it a try!

Mentioned in this post
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Kent
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies.

Will have a look at all the recommended restaurants before making a choice.

We are ham/cheese/wine sort of people so, Vagabonda, if you know the name of the places recommended by cranford that would be really helpful.

We were actually in Lipari for a day last Summer and we too had a wonderful cannolo filled to order in a little place in the main street. Sounds like the same place as you, Vagabonda.

Did not try the malvasia last year so will certainly do so in July!

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,996 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

cranford was recommending either Bar La Precchia (live music and a favourite) or Eden Bar on Vittorio Emanuele.

And cranford probably meant Enoteca Essepiu on via Garibaldi – a good bar to sample Malvasia delle Lipari!

Enoteca Essepiu:

http://www.eoliessepiu.it/

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Malvasia
Malvasia
1,626 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Lipari
Lipari
Aeolian Islands, Italy
Kent
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

Thank you very much, Vagabonda!

london
Level Contributor
222 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Lipari

I was definitely talking about Enoteca Essepiu, and I think Bar La Precchia. Thanks Vagabonda.