We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

Which Lipari hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

Is it reasonable to consider taking a 7am ferry to Lipari and returning on the 15:45 ferry? Are reservations necessary?

Also, can anyone suggest reasonably priced places to stay overnight in or near Milazzo?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

You would only have a few hours on Lipari, but a few hours would be better than no hours!

When will you be travelling? Usually reservations aren’t required, although booking agents always recommend reservations, but since you’ll be on such a tight schedule, I would recommend reserving ahead.

www.usticalines.it/biglietteria.php?lingua=E

Petit Hotel is opposite the hydrofoil dock.

www.petithotel.it

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194824-d553001…

Hotel La Bussola is also convenient to the port.

http://www.hotelabussola.it/index.php?lang=en

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

We will be visiting relatives in Campo Calabro on Saturday, 26 July and hope to get to Milazzo by evening. We could then visit Lipari on the 27th. With just a few hours there, what would you suggest we be sure to see?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

That’s an optimistic plan – Family will never let you leave on time, and then there might be a queue for the crossing!

But why go to Milazzo? – You could take the hydrofoil for Lipari from Calabria at Reggio.

You could then spend more time with your family on the 26th; even stay the night with them, or stay in the area; and if your family were to drive you to the port, you could leave the car with them for the day.

This recent thread offers suggestions for your day on Lipari.

Day Visitors - suggestions please:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194798-i6657-k292…

Lipari Photos:

trekearth.com/gallery/…

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

Dear Vagabonda,

You are such a wonderful font of information! I will speak to my family about traveling directly from Reggio to Lipari the next day. However,the larger problem may be that we want to tour Monreale and Erice on the following day. This would be our final day in Sicily and we would hate to miss these sites. I am afraid we may have to forego Lipari and drive straight from the ferry in Messina and head west to be closer to Palermo for the evening.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

Dear asclaf – You have a decision to make!! :-)

It’s almost impossible to compare time with family to time touring sites – You’re very fortunate to experience the opportunity to visit with your family.

Your goals may still be possible – If you (or your family) were to return the car in Calabria, you could still take the ferry from the Aeolians to Lipari. You could then return from Lipari to Palermo and take the bus from Palermo to Monreale. Erice wouldn’t be possible.

Possibly Western Sicily could be a destination for another year!

Or as you have concluded, you could skip Lipari but visit Monreale and Erice, and spend your last night near the airport in Palermo to best position you for your departing flight.

All good choices – Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

I agree, Vagabonda, family trumps all! One more question: is there day parking at the ferry terminal at Messina? Our family has graciously offered to pick us up at Villa San Giovanni.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

It sounds as if your family will be as happy to see you as you will be to see them asclaf!

I recently checked with Messina’s Tourist Information about parking at the port and was told there wasn’t any parking at the port, but there are garages near the port.

Parking car at Ferry in Messina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2896…

Messina is a challenge to drive - Not as bad as Palermo and Catania, but not a joy either.

Hope to hear your final outcome - Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Day-trip Milazzo to Lipari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Lipari