We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Loreto train station

Which Loreto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi from Loreto train station

Hello, I will be taking a train to Loreto and will be arriving only at 7pm at night.

Is it possible to get a taxi from the train station to get into the Basilica area?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

Hello

Did you go to Loreto and did you find a taxi? I am thinking of staying there a few nights, but not sure how far it is to walk up the hill to the monastery.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

From train station to the church is about 1.1km on foot, but very much uphill

http://goo.gl/maps/RDEjN

By taxi is about 2.6km

http://goo.gl/maps/Olw8R

There is a small taxi rank right outside the station but I have no idea how late they operate. If no one is there then there is usually a number to call.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

Thanks Lynn. It may be more convenient to stay in Ancona after walking all day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

As an ex Loreto student I visited, but the mythology about the house of Mary was rather laughable to me. However, there were people in tears of profound faith which was very moving. I have since visited the one near Ephesus too. For those of faith the places are very holy.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

The "Santa casa" inside the Basilica is said to be a missing part of the house inside the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth. Apparently the two halves match. Legend says it was brought first to Illyria, then to Le Marche by angels. I've seen two different more believable stories. The first is that was brought to Le Marche by a local family called Angelos, when they returned from the crusades; this is the version I got from a document at the basilica itself. The second is that it was part of the dowry of the daughter of a Byzantine ruler called Angeli or De Angelis, who married one of the sons of the King of Naples in the 13th century. This version relies on a 17th century copy of a document dated 1294. However, some scholars doubt the authenticity of this document.

The outside of the house was covered in ornate marble in the 16th century, but the three-walled structure that can be seen on the inside are apparently of Palestinian stone, held together with a mortar that was traditionally used in Palestine. Since the mortar isn't Italian, the structure must have been transported in one piece. Above the height of three meters, the walls are of material added later, as is the ceiling.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

How did this work out for you? I am thinking of doing the same.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Loreto train station

Hello Artnola.

I did not end up going to Loreto, but I went past it on the 'treno'. It does not look too far and should be okay to walk if you don't have luggage to drag uphill. I think there were buses from Ancona treno stazione that went there - but not often.

Reply to: Taxi from Loreto train station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loreto