We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Bristol
Level Contributor
37 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

I am also looking to book Malcesine for next May for our special L 30th Wedding Anniversary holiday, and was wondering why nearly all the hotels in Thomson Lakes & Mountains and Thomas Cook brochures are half board?

We like going to eat out in the evenings at different restaurants so there is a very limited choice of b&b's. Hotel Excelsior Bay looks very nice - 4star, but is half board, a bit worried about committing to one restaurant all week, any comments on this hotel anyone?

The is only 1 decent looking b&b in the Thomson brochure for this resort - Hotel Augusta , the peach hotel next to the cable car station, a bit worried about the cable car noise here, any comments? But this hotel does seem to have good reviews on here with 48/49 excellent or very good! So now can't decide between a these 2 hotels, the Excesior bay has a excellent position,is 4 star,so more money, but evening meal included, the Augusta gives us the freedom to choose different places to eat every night. but is 3 star and much cheaper..what would you do?

Belfast
Level Contributor
510 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

I know 2 couple who have stayed in the Augusta and were more than happy with it. I recommend the Casa Barca for a bit more luxury.

UK
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Maybe they will allow you to swap dinner for lunch (some hotels in Italy do) or give you a packed lunch to take out with you on the days you want to eat out? Why not e-mail them amd ask whether they are willing to do so?

Bristol
Level Contributor
37 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

I've now priced the 2 out

4* Excelsior £1000 more (HB with lake view) than 3* Augusta . Both have good reviews and a pool. Think I may choose Augusta purely for freedom in the evenings - its only for a week AND £1000 more seems a hell of a lot (this is for 2 adults)....just for evening dinner , when I don't really want to commit to it anyway...

Blantyre
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Just to confirm most hotels allow you to swap meal times and the pack lunches are often truly excellent , unless you choose a very small hotel you will find hotels also put a bit of effort in to booking entertainment in the evening perhaps once or twice a week in season.

I might be worth looking through the Inghams Lakes & Mountains brochure to see if they have a different selection of hotels --- just possible as with Thompsons/First Choice Inghams are a very good company to deal with.

Some towns on the Lake have more activity in the evening than others, I don't know about Melcesine (perhaps somebody here will know ?) but Bardolino and Sirmione quite often have events of some kind in the evening.

Edited: 28 September 2010, 13:26
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Hi Libralass! It suddenly dawned on me! The Hotel Sirena,right next door to the Vega only does B&B,great location, not in the same class as Vega I would have to say but the position makes up for that.You can book via Crystal or Thomson and fly Bristol/Verona.Good luck.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Hotel SIRENA------ May21st ex BRISTOL via Thomson, £506pp B&B for 7 nights,dont think there are many rooms with balconies but the lake side decked area is brilliant. Iain

Bristol
Level Contributor
37 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Thanks for that will look into it, Still waiting for Ingrams brochure to arrive, ordered it online last week

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Libralass... nowadays with the help of internet... and TA!.. it is not difficult to organize by yourself your stay.

Choose the hotel you want, and than the flight (or vice-versa). Book your trasfert with the hotel or rely on public transports and you'll realy have what you want.

Ciao

Francesco

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

Many hotels have made the choose of a "Half Board policy", in the travel agency brochure because in this way they can give the opportunity to the guest to have a "full service" at a good price.

But, as other people have said, thanks to Internet it's not very difficult contact directly the hotel and ask also for a "bed and breakfast" accomodation.

Many of the hotels in the first positions in Malcesine not have a restaurant, but they can offer anyway to their guest an unforgettable stay.

10. Re: Why are most hotels half board only in brochures?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 06:39