We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Hello, I am struggling to read the websites in Italian. I am travelling with my 77 year old Mum from Malcesine to Venice Treviso, for a flight at 15,30 on a Saturday in September. Can anyone help me please with the route and timescales please?

Many thanks, I;m really excited about coming

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Hi, from Malcesine there's a bus to Peschiera at the south-east of the lake where you can take a train to Venice. You could also take a taxi to Peschiera but that would be expensive, or maybe your hotel offers a shuttle service and would be willing to take you to the train station.

The bus from Malcesine also goes to Verona so you could stay on the bus all the way to Verona then take the train from there. The advantage of doing that is that more trains stop in Verona than in Peschiera including the faster trains.

This is the current bus timetable (but you may need to check again before September to see if there have been any changes to the schedule). Travelling southwards you need the second page:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/162.pdf

You need a bus in a column headed "fer" (Mondays to Saturdays) or "gior" (every day, seven days a week).

The bus station in Malcesine appears as "Malcesine Autostazione" and you will get off at "Verona Autostazione Porta Nuova".

One thing to note is that buses regularly run behind schedule so get an earlier one than you think you need!

For trains have a look at www.trenitalia.com and click on the flag in the top right-hand corner for the version in English. To check times etc. you need to put in a date in the next week or two. I think there will be a schedule change in the summer so you need to look again nearer your travel time.

It's probably best to ask on the Venice forums for details of how to get from the train station to Treviso airport then work backwards from there to see when you need to leave Malcesine.

By the way, how are you getting TO Malcesine?

Edited: 02 March 2014, 15:41
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,801 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Current bus service from Mestre FS (Venezia Mestre train station) is here atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Venezia_-_Aeroporto…

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Many, perhaps most, of the web sites will display a Union Jack somewhere on the first page and clicking there will get you an English version, or look for the word Inglese, and click there.

Before you go acquire about ten words of Italian, it will make many things more enjoyable.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Many thanks for a great reply. I will be getting to Malescine by following your instructions in reverse! I was less paniced about getting there as I won't be rushing for a flight. Is Malescine a great place to get a feel for the lakes? Or would you recommend anywhere else? Thanks

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Thanks also to everyone else for thier advice, I thought I was just replying to one person but its gone below all of your help. Ciao !

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Hi, Malcesine is a lovely town with a small harbour, a castle and the cable car up to Monte Baldo. It's quite a hilly town though with cobbled streets, so if your mum has any mobility issues it could be a problem.

www.malcesinepiu.org/en/lake-garda.html

The north of the lake has wonderful mountain scenery, and from Malcesine there's a regular boat service to the other northern towns of Limone (also very steep in places), Riva and Torbole.

Further south but on the same side of the lake, the area around Garda and Bardolino is less hilly with a lakeside path linking the towns. Both towns have a good boat service to all other parts of the lake, and they are closer to Peschiera and Verona for getting to and from Venice.

http://www.lakegarda-holidays.co.uk/resorts/

www.gardainforma.com/en/village/index.html

lakegarda-exclusively.co.uk/Lake-Garda-Touri…

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

Thats brillant. You;ve been very helpful. Thanks very much

8. Re: Travel advice for a non italian speaker!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:29