We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Naples to Maratea

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Train from Naples to Maratea

Hi,

We are arriving at Naples airport with 4 adults and 1 child. Can anyone let me know what their experience of getting the train in Naples is like when you have quite a lot of luggage? Is it easy to get from the airport to the train station?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

Yes, it's easy: take the ALIBUS airport bus from just outside the departures hall to Piazza Garibaldi (Naples Central Station). Fare is 3 Euros for each adult. Children under 1 meter travel free.

The Naples Centrale Station has been extensively modernized. Try not to overpack, as you will need to lift your luggage on and off the trains, which have steep and narrow steps.

If your child is under the age of 4 years, 1 day, she travels FREE on all Trenitalia trains, without a ticket and without a guaranteed seat. Children between the ages of 4 years, 1 day and 12 years, 0 days, travel for 50% of the adult "BASE" fare, with a ticket and with a guaranteed seat on the reserved trains.

You can also specifically request the "Familia" fare, which will also give the adults a 20% discount (in addition to the child's discount). It's valid for groups of five or fewer travellers with at least one adult and one child. You must specifically ask for this discount.

To get to Maratea from Naples, you must take a train to SAPRI, then a taxi. Alternatively, you could change trains in SAPRI to a local train to MARINA di MARATEA. Also note that there is a 12:56 p.m. direct unreserved regionale train to Marina di Maratea, the "BASE" fare for which is ONLY 9.75 Euros (discountable with the 20% adult "Familia" fare plus the 50% child's discount). The faster trains requiring a connection at SAPRI will cost 3X as much!!!

www.trenitalia.it

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,950 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

There are around six or seven trains a day direct from Naples to Maratea - which is the name of Maratea's main station. Most are Regional trains, but two are InterCity trains with reserved seating, at 12.00 and 19.05. Otherwise change at Sapri.

Note that there are two other train stations in Maratea, Marina di Maratea which is referred to in reply 1 and has a poorer train service, and Acquafredda which has a very limited service indeed.

See http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html for the services from Naples to each of these stations. Use a date this week to see fares on Regional trains, as tickets for these are NA online more than seven days in advance. You should buy tickets in italy when arriving by plane.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

Sorry to come back again but does anyone know the platforms used in Naples Central Station for an intercirty going to Maratea?

I am also trying to find out the stops on this route?

If I book online do I just take the e-mail verification on board ? I have been reading about having to validate tickets.

The seating alos looks like there are no table in first class - is this correct?

I know that this is a lot to ask but just would like to be prepared.

Any help would be much appreciated?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

You cannot tell which platform will be used in advance: it can change from day to day. Look at the departure screens, headed "Partenze". These show departure time, train number, final destination (which may be beyond where you are going), and the platform (binario) that will be used.

To find the stops, go to www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html and find your train. Select it with the radio button at right, then click "Details by selection". More information appears at the bottom of the screen, and another button labelled "Info". Click this to see a list of stops.

With an e-ticket, just get on board, sit in the allocated seat, and be prepared to show the e-ticket to the conductor on request. The only tickets that require validation are those on local (Regionale) trains that do not have seat reservations.

Seating layout varies.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

Also, there are no folding tables on the regionale or the intercity trains (as there are on the faster and more expensive Freccia trains).

The unreserved regionale train referenced in my original response above also stops at the Maratea station before continuing on to the Marina di Maratea station. If your destination is Maratea itself, get off at the Maratea station. If your destination is the beach resort (which I may have incorrectly inferred), get off at the Marina di Maratea station!

Edited: 31 August 2012, 15:48
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,950 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

Seating diagrams for Intercity trains are frequently inaccurate, as there are two types of carriage - traditional carriages with compartments and a side corridor, which are no longer seen on UK trains, and open carriages.

In my area of northern Italy, the coaches with compartments are by far the most common, but I do not know whether this applies south of Naples.

The beaches of Maratea are spread all along its coast for around 30 km, including the Porto and Fiumicello areas by the main train station, and there is not really one beach resort as such. If you want to visit a typical beach resort while you are there, go to neighbouring Scalea.

8. Re: Train from Naples to Maratea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Maratea