We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me work out how we get from Milan to Menaggio, either via Varenna (ferry) or Como (ferry or C10 bus). As you can see, I've read all the info but our issue is all around timing. It's a Tue evening in August 2011 and our flight gets into Milan Malpensa at 17:50. From what I can see, we need to get a shuttle to Milan's central station and then either a train to Como or Varenna. However, looking at the train timetables (and our likely arrival time at Milan central), I'm concerned that we can't get to Varenna or Como in time for the last bus or ferry (19:50 and 19:55 respectively from what I can see). What I'm hoping for is a local or someone there at the moment that can confirm if they are indeed the final bus/ferry times during August 2011? I'm hoping there are some later journeys at this time of year? Can anyone help? Do we have any other options if we miss those last two?

Many thanks for any info you can provide!!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

The car ferry timetable that I have, downloaded in June this year, appears to list a car ferry at 00:10 from Varenna to Mennagio. The timetable is supposed to run to October. The 00:10 ferry time is coloured red but I'm not sure what that means - think it is this "PARTENZE CHE SI EFFETTUANO NEI GIORNI FERIALI DI SABATO E PRIMA ORA SUCCESSIVA ALLE 24.00 DEL MEDESIMO GIORNO" but my italian isn't good!

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

Hi NI.... Very helpful! I wonder if foot passengers are allowed on the car ferry? I had wondered if the car ferry ran extended hours. I'll try and find out more. Are there any around 20:30, do you know (on your timetable)?

Thanks for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,064 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

Foot passengers can use the car ferries. Current timetables are at http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/index.asp

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

Pretty sure we travelled on a car ferry as a foot passengers ..... however please check everything before taking my advice! I downloaded my timetable here - http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/c_orari.asp (the car ferry link) - but if I use the drop down boxes and put Varenna to Mennagio after midnight it doesn't seem to come up with anything .... hopefully I haven't given you dodgy advice, apologies if I have ....

Edited: 08 August 2011, 00:28
Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
536 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

Those departures in red on the car ferry schedule only run on Saturday nights (technically early Sunday morning).

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

Thanks all.... We realised it was Saturday only and have reorganised ourselves so that we are elsewhere for a few nights and we will then make our way up to Menaggio earlier, a few days later!

Thanks again.

7. Re: Como or Varenna to Menaggio at 8pm-ish - Aug 2011???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 16:19