We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake travel from menaggio

sheffield england
Level Contributor
671 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
lake travel from menaggio

We are going to be in Menaggio for 2 and a half days in June this year. Our fourth day will be the day we leave and we plan to visit Como town (or city? not sure which it is), on our way back to a hotel in Milan. We have to leave at 10 am, and have a car so should have plenty of time for a full day there. On the other days we hope to do most of our travelling by ferry but am rather confused as to how these operate. I have looked at the website and downloaded the timetables and think the best thing is to have a day ticket. Does this ticket allow for travel on all the routes available from Menaggio, or do you have to have a separate ticket for each route. I haven't yet looked at the routes as they fit on a map of the area so am not certain yet of times and/or distances. We definitely plan to visit Bellagio but again, not sure what else could be fitted into a day.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake travel from menaggio

No experience with day-tickets here. We mostly bought 1 round trip per day to the attraction of that day. This worked fine. The ferry schedule is indeed not always easy. Sometimes the trip from Menaggio to Bellagio goes via Varenna, etc.etc. Also watch for the limited service around lunchtime.

Must see's and within in easy reach from Menaggio: Bellagio, Varenna, Villa Carlotta, Villa Balbianello.

Como is a city for sure! The road between Como and Milan can be busy.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
671 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake travel from menaggio

OK thanks. We plan to visit Bellagio for certain, and are trying to find out whether Monty Don (BBC series) did any gardens in this area so depending on where we are going to visit would determine whether a simple round trip would do, or if we would need a day ticket. I had noticed that the ferries are less frequent around lunch time!! As we are going to be passing very close to Como on our way back to our Milan hotel it would make sense to stop there for the day with the car - parking allowing of course. Cities are always such a problem with parking the car. We will have to look into that. We have been in Como before, overnight in Brunate and really enjoyed the funiculare and the waterfront walking. No doubt the duomo is worth a visit too.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake travel from menaggio

If you already visited Brunate and the Como waterfront, I would suggest to leave Como for what it is. The Duomo is nice, but apart form that and the waterfront, Como is an average Italian city. Or maybe I should say: below average, as the Italian average is very high.

The Duomo of Milan is 'slightly' more impressive, and some extra hours in Menaggio are better as well, i.m.o.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lake travel from menaggio

And about the gardens: Villa Charlotta is the most famous (and covered by Monty Don, as I found in the internet).

But don't miss the less well known Villa Monasterio, and next door Villa Cipressi (entrance for free if your gonna have lunch in the hotel's restaurant) in Varenna. These are the most charming of the Lake's gardens.

Villa Balbianello is famous for the James Bond shootings

sheffield england
Level Contributor
671 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake travel from menaggio

thank you, i had already looked to the possiblity of visiting villa carlotta. i have not been able to find these gardens monty don visited as they seem to be referred to in books, or the tv series which has now ended and doesn't give much information. i wonder now whether to stop in como at all, although only two of the party have visited before, the other 3 not. we have pretty much the full day from leaving menaggio in the morning, before we take the car back to malpensa, then go to our hotel. as it will be our last day in this area we don't want to waste it.

6. Re: lake travel from menaggio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:16