We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

In May, we are staying at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Quid Hotel Venice Airport, Via Terraglio, 15.

We want to meet friends and go on a walking tour of Venice that begins at the Rialto Bridge. It will end there just before 8:00PM (20:00) in the evening. I have heard that getting back to our hotel after 8:00 PM or so is difficult and expensive because some trains or buses we might take stop running.

Can anyone tell me what buses, trains,etc. we can take at this hour to get back to our hotel. If we might need to take a cab, can someone offer a guess on what it might cost?

Thanks so much for your help.

Car-Stan

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

The trains run to the station closest to the hotel until after 11pm, but even though the hotel website says it is 500m Google gives it as more like a kilometer and a half (about a mile) through a rather unpopulated commercial area which I would be sure to walk during the day before ever attempting it in the dark. Perhaps you can call the hotel when you are catching the train and have them provide a taxi or shuttle from the Ospedale train station rather than Piazzale Roma, though it probably would be much easier and not be that much more expensive in the end just to catch a taxi straight from Piazzale Roma, though I wouldn't know the cost for that route.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

Car-Stan, if you can re-book your stay for a hotel within Venice proper, that would save you the transportation worries and add to your overall enjoyment. If you cannot, then you cannot.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

If you were to decide to walk after dark I would discreetly ask some of the hotel staff (the ones less tied to hotel promotion, like maybe the house cleaning staff) about the area after dark to be sure it is safe, if they would have any problems walking from the train station. I have been through that area to visit shops to visit people at the hospital, but never after dark, so have no idea how much the areas is empty and how much it might just degrade and fill with other less desirable elements after dark.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 07:06
Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

Thank you all for your replies. I continue to be so impressed with how generous people here are with their time and their knowledge.

Stan

5. Re: Transportation from Mestre to Rialto Bridge and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:15